North House (Alumni House) was built in 1902 as a private residence. It is an early example of a California Mission style (stucco and tile) vernacular house, and is an exception to the wooden Theosophical structures. It predates the more general introduction of the Mission Vernacular into the San Diego region by several years.
Archives, Theosophical Society, Pasadena, California 91109 PLNU# 1 6882 2981 16 tif
Alumni House Interior
The rounded arch of the Mission style (background) is a distinct contrast to the flattened arch (foreground) of the Theosophical Society buildings. The hand crafted staircase and wooden mouldings are still visible today in the Alumni house.
The building has always been used for representational purposes: It served as a venue for public receptions and social events for the Theosophical Society; and from 1902-1909 it was the residence of Katherine Tingley. It formerly served as the residence of the Presidents of Point Loma Nazarene University. The Alumni Association maintains the Alumni House with four bedrooms for visiting alumni, on campus overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
Archives, Theosophical Society, Pasadena, California 91109 PLNU# 1 688 2 2981-25 tif
Archives, Theosophical Society, Pasadena, California 91109 PLNU# 688-2 2981 tif