PLNU is different. Check out what sets us apart.
- Graduate schools love PLNU scholars. Since 1989, for example, approximately 80 percent of PLNU graduates who have applied to medical school have been accepted. This is more than twice the national average.
- Our Speech and Debate Team has been known to trap opponents such as UC Berkeley and UCLA in nets of logic, earning us the title of national champion four times in the National Parliamentary Debate Association’s yearlong sweepstakes.
- Being next to the Pacific Ocean and sitting on top of Sunset Cliffs Natural Park reminds us that we are caretakers of God’s creation. With our new sustainability studies minor, you can enter a burgeoning field dedicated to protecting God’s creation. We are also nationally recognized for our leadership in sustainability, earning us various awards including the 2009 City of San Diego Recycler of the Year Award.
- 98 percent of PLNU's nursing students pass the California state board test the first time.
- Our Fermanian Business and Economic Institute gives students the chance to connect to local businesses. Our chief economist, Dr. Lynn Reaser, is the current president of the National Association for Business Economics and does analysis and consulting for the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Military Advisory Council.
- Our Honors Program gives you the opportunity to undertake a senior honors project. With guidance from a major professor, you’ll complete original research or creative projects that will prepare you for graduate school and future employment.
- We love word-lovers. Our annual Writer’s Symposium by the Sea, hosted by professor of journalism Dr. Dean Nelson, has featured writers such as Ray Bradbury, Donald Miller, and Amy Tan.
- The 2008 Open Doors report ranked PLNU 15th in the nation among similar universities for our high percentage of undergraduates studying abroad.