Welcome to PLNU - Spring New Student Orientation 2017
Spring NSO: January 9, 2017
Fall NSO Dates are August 25 & 26, 2017
Check back in early spring for the 2017 Fall NSO schedule.
Welcome to Point Loma Nazarene University
Welcome to Point Loma Nazarene University. We are delighted that you are joining us for the 2017 spring semester.
This letter summarizes information you need to make a smooth and successful transition to PLNU in a few short weeks. Most importantly, plan to attend New Student Orientation (NSO) on Monday, January 9, 2017, from 8 – 1 p.m. At NSO, you will meet key people; get your ID card; learn about the culture of PLNU; move in to your room; purchase your textbooks and much more. You are welcome to bring up to two guests to attend NSO with you. Please note that all administrative offices will be open until 4:30 p.m. during orientation.
The following information is key as you transition to PLNU:
• NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION (NSO) ON MONDAY, JANUARY 9, 2017 - Check-in begins at 8 a.m. in the Nicholson Commons Living Room (Main Dining Room entrance on the south side of the building; follow the signs). After checking in, you will enjoy breakfast in the Main Dining Room. The Welcome Session begins at 8:45 a.m., followed by the Covenant Service; a campus walking tour and Resource Fair. ASB & TAG are providing a “Welcome” Activity Luncheon at 12 noon. NSO will conclude at 1 p.m. All campus offices will be open for any additional business until 4:30 p.m. Additional NSO information and complete schedule of events is available at www.pointloma.edu/NSO.
• MOVE-IN / HOUSING - Residential students will move in Monday, January 9 between 1 p.m. & 3 p.m. Pick up your room key at the Res. Hall Box where your assigned room is located. For any housing questions email email@example.com or call her at 619-849-2463. Your housing and roommate assignment information are available on your student portal.
• STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES - Billing and Financial Aid Awards may be viewed through your PLNU student portal. January 6, 2017 all account balances are due. Any billing or financial aid questions may be directed to Student Financial Services at 619-849-2538 or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• PREPARING FOR GOOD HEALTH AND SUCCESS AT PLNU - PLNU requires enrolled undergraduate students to complete and submit the following forms to the Wellness Center by Tuesday, January 3, 2017:
Student Health History
Immunization and TB Verification
Required Physical Examination (completed within 1 year of entering the university)
"Front and Back” copy of Health Insurance Provider Card (for students waiving PLNU Student Health Insurance Plan). You can download forms and get more information about required health information for incoming students on the Wellness Center webpage www.pointloma.edu/wellness.
• DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONS AT PLNU - Students with documented disabilities may register for accommodations through the Disability Resource Center (DRC). The DRC supports students with disabilities in a variety of ways, including extended test taking #mce_temp_url#time and separate proctoring. Students can begin the DRC registration process by submitting PLNU's Provider Documentation form from the DRC webpage at www.pointloma.edu/experience/offices/administrative-offices/academic-advising-office/disability-resource-center.
• CLASS SCHEDULES - Class schedules will be created for you and available in your student portal late November through mid-December, depending on when each student confirmed his/her acceptance through Admissions.
Transfer Students: Check your PLNU gmail account for information on how to interpret your transfer credit in your student portal. If you have additional questions, visit the Office of Records on Monday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or email email@example.com.
• VEHICLE REGISTRATION - PLNU uses the iParq registration and enforcement system. Go to your student portal at my.pointloma.edu to learn about the steps for registering your vehicle or go directly to plnu.thepermitstore.com and register your vehicle. Residential freshmen are not allowed to have a vehicle on campus or in surrounding neighborhoods. For more information see the Freshmen Car Policy at www.pointloma.edu/NSO.
• THE COMMON KNOWLEDGE BOOKSTORE - Will be open on Monday, January 9, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. to purchase textbooks and supplies and spirit gear. Come by and check out the new student “VIP” sale!
• STRENGTHSQUEST - All students are given an assessment geared toward discovering each individual’s strengths. To take the StrengthsQuest assessment, login into your student portal. Click on the ‘Students’ section located in the gray bar across the top of the page. In the left column click on ‘Profile Information’ and then on ‘StrengthsQuest’. A code will be displayed along with instructions. Record the code and click on the link for the StrengthsQuest site. When you are done taking the assessment return to your student portal, click the ‘Enter your strengths’ link and enter your strengths. Then contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a coaching session.
• MATH PLACEMENT TEST - The PLNU Math Placement Test will be offered immediately following NSO on Monday, January 9 at 2 p.m. in Latter Hall 101. Students who have a MTH000 placeholder on their schedule need to take the placement test in order to advance in their declared major. All students who have not completed Calculus are encouraged to take the exam in the event they change to a math-intensive major in the future.
We deeply desire that you grow as a whole person during your years at PLNU. We trust that you will experience an extra measure of God’s grace as you participate in our community. Come to PLNU expectantly. Opportunities to learn, grow, and serve are abundant here.
The entire PLNU community is preparing for your arrival. Enjoy every moment of this special holiday season. We look forward to meeting you at NSO on Monday, January 9, 2017 to answer your questions before classes begin on Tuesday, January 10, 2017.
Caye Barton Smith, Psy.D.
Vice President for Student Development
New Student Orientation Guidebook App
Check out our NSO App and stay connected with the latest schedule updates, maps, and session information.
Click here to download the App.