Alan C. Hueth
Alan C. Hueth, MA, Ph.D.
- Professor of Communication
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (619) 849-2358
- 1998 Ph.D, Educational Leadership, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH. (focus on technologies and learning)
- 1984 M.A., Radio and Television, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA. (focus on film and television writing & production)
- 1979 B.A., Information and Communication Studies, California State University, Chico, CA.
- Staff and free-lance writer, producer, associate producer, director, director of photography (DP), and/or editor for over 300 contract, cablecast, or broadcast programs. This includes TV/film documentaries, radio shows, corporate and non-profit promotionals, college sports, interview and music shows, short films, PBS-TV news, and broadcast radio/music programs
- Judge in five (5) national student and professional film festivals
- Media consultant and board member of numerous film and TV festivals
- Active board and regular member of several academic and professional media groups
- Creator and supervisor, Point TV Professionals Products Unit ("The Unit") - overseeing student work on professional projects.
- Creator-leader of PLNU’s Dept of Communication and Theatre London Summer Study Program—focused on film/TV documentary production and propaganda studies
- Creator-leader of PLNU’s Sundance Film Festival Program—students attend, screen films, and shoot a short documentary at the Sundance film festival every other year (for college credit)
- Numerous awards: Telly, Broadcast Ed Association faculty competition, and cable competitions
- Twenty-one (24) media conference presentations on TV, film, and multimedia production, theory, aesthetics, and ethics
- Advise and oversee Point TV—Channel 23 (PLNU’s on campus cable channel)—a student-staffed production company and TV station
- Written several articles and scripts for publication, and now writing a textbook called Scriptwriting for Television, Film, and New Media, to be published by Oxford University Press (2015 or '16 release).
- Developed/participated in developing communication-based and interdisciplinary media studies, film/cinema, visual arts-film, public relations, and other new majors and minors at several universities
- 32 years of college/university teaching experience
I’m mostly interested in my students’ personal and professional success, but also…
- Member, Men’s Servant-Leader Team at my church-- Horizon North County, Rancho Santa Fe (Calvary Chapel). Assist/lead weekly, year-round Bible studies, evangelism and discipleship of men, men’s prayer groups and other men’s ministry events (2008-present)
- Special interest in Christian apologetics and evangelism
- Vice-President/Member, Gideons, Nampa, Idaho, and North San Diego camps. State Assistant Director (Idaho)—speaking and fund-raising in churches and state meetings throughout Idaho and San Diego. (1999-present).
- Work and Witness (missions-construction, etc.) ministries in three countries--Guatemala, Italy, Mexico throughout the years
- Road and mountain biking, national and international travel, hiking, museum-theatre-film going
- I’m a news and information junkie, an enthusiastic SD Chargers and Padres fan, and love to host family and friends/visitors and past PLNU (and other alumni) who come to San Diego
- Married 36 years with two grown children and 2 grandchildren