G.L. Forward, MDiv, MA, Ph.D.
- Professor of Organizational Communication
- Director of Internships
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (619) 849-2561
- Phone: For office hours and appointments please call the department assistant at (619) 849-2605.
- Ph.D. Communication Theory, 1994. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- M.A. Business & Organizational Communication, 1988. Emerson College, Boston, MA.
- M. Div. Nazarene Theological Seminary,1980. Kansas City, MO.
- B.A. Magna Cum Laude, 1974. Eastern Nazarene College, Quincy, MA.
- CERTIFIED SYMLOG CONSULTANT, 2002. SYMLOG Consulting Group, San Diego, CA.
G. L. Forward, Ph.D. is professor and former chair of the Department of Communication & Theatre. He has worked in college student recruitment, managed a small retail store, been a pastor in the Church of the Nazarene, and since 1989, been a communication teacher, author, and consultant.
He has earned two master’s degrees including a Master of Divinity from Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, MO and a Master of Arts in Business & Organizational Communication from Emerson College, Boston, MA. He was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in Small Group & Organizational Communication Theory in 1994.
Dr. Forward’s research interests focus on organizational assimilation theory, newcomer information-seeking, stress and social support, leadership, and organizational identity. He has delivered over eighteen competitively selected conference papers and published several theoretical and research-based articles. Three recent articles in the Journal of Communication & Religion and The New Jersey Journal of Communication have allowed him to combine his dual interest in communication and clergy experiences in organizational life. In addition Dr. Forward has done occasional corporate (Phoenix Republic Newspapers, U.P.S., Nationwide Insurance, Ohio Hospital Insurance Corporation, R. P. Scherer Company) and non-profit (churches) training and consulting in leadership and communication.
Dr. Forward’s interests include old movies (anything with Humphrey Bogart), murder mysteries, and trips to the mountains (Big Bear). Forward describes himself as a "hopeful cynic." Friends say he is anal-retentive, task-oriented, and finds humor in (almost) everything! He also loves interaction with students, loves his job, and plans to stay at PLNU for a long time (unless they replay that old episode of America's Most Wanted).