Walter O. Williams, Ph.D.
Professor of Communication & Theatre
Point Loma Nazarene University
San Diego, CA
- MA 2008, UCLA School of Theatre, Film & Television: Critical Studies
- MA 2005, San Diego State University: Theatre
- PhD 2000, Regent University: Rhetoric
- MA 1992, Regent University: Journalism & Professional Writing
- Graduate Study 1988-89, Yale School of Drama
- BA 1987, UCLA School of Theatre, Film & Television: Theater
2000 ---- Professor, Communication & Theatre
Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, California
- COM 100 Principles of Human Communication
- TRE 101 Introduction to Theatre
- TRE 270 Acting I
- TRE 307 Theatre History
- TRE 370 Acting II
- TRE 436 Stagecraft Techniques
- COM 460 Rhetorical Theories
- COM 485 Communication, Values, and Society
1998 - 2000 Adjunct Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Norfolk State University, Norfolk, Virginia
- INT 309 Interdisciplinary Reasearch Methodologies
- INT 310 Rhetoric & Society
- INT 410 Approaches to Critical Analysis
1998-2000 Adjunct Professor, Department of Speech and Theatre
Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- SPD 100 Public Speaking
- SPD 105 Communication Theory
1995 - 1998 Assistant Professor of Speech & Drama
Hampton University, Hampton, Virginia
- SPD 103 Oral Communication
- SPD 237 Rhetorical Theory
- SPD 323 Argumentation & Debate
- SPD 350 Research Methods in Speech & Theatre
- SPD 368 Theories of Communication
- SPD 422 Senior Thesis in Speech & Theatre
1992 - 1995 Adjunct Professor (Fellow)
Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA
- COM 500 Comm. Research and Writing (TA)
- JRN 402 Introduction to Journalism
- JRN 510 Newswriting and Reporting (TA)
- JRN 514 Craft of Good Writing (TA)
- JRN 516 Short Story Writing (team-taught)
- JRN 522 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Writing
- JRN 520 Writing for Children and Adolescents
- JRN 556 The Literature of Journalists
Publications, Conferences & Colloquia
- “The Performance of Pain and the Evocation of the Sublime: The Suffering Artist as Phenomenological Prophet.” Accepted for presentation at the 2007 Comparative Drama Conference at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California.
- “Setting the World on Fire Merely to See it Burn: The Censoring of Bernard Shaw’s Testimony in the 1909 Parliamentary Hearings on Censorship.” Presented at the 2006 Conference of the International Shaw Society at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
- "Sehnsucht and the Imagination: Mythopoeia as a signpost to the Divine." Presented at the 2000 National Communication Association Convention in Seattle, Washington.
- “Batman as Mythical Expression through Comic Technique.” Co-authored with Alex Wainer. 1998 Popular Culture Convention, Orlando, Florida.
- "Spectacular Transcendence: Abundant Means in the Cinematic Representation of African-American Christianity," co-authored with Terry Lindvall and Artie Terry. Howard Journal of Communications, 7:205-220, 1996. (Won the 1997 Best Article Award from the National Communication Association’s RSCA division).
- “Word of Life, Word of Power: A Comparison of Augustine’s On Christian Doctrine and Longinus’ On the Sublime as Archetypal Spiritual Rhetorics.” Presented at the 1996 Speech Communication Association Convention in San Diego, California.
- "Dialogic Theory: Toward a Rhetoric of Meaning," presented at annual Colloquium Regent University: Virginia Beach, VA, November, 1994.
- "Anagogic Theory: Reappropriating Terms for a Spiritual Rhetoric," presented at annual Colloquium, Regent University: Virginia Beach, VA. October, 1993.
- Who's Who Amond America's Teachers, 2005
- RSCA Best Article, 1997 Award. (Spectacular Transcendence)
- Artist in Residence, Hartnell College, Salinas, CA, 1992.
- Full Doctoral Fellowship, Regent University (1992-1995)
- Full Graduate Fellowship, Yale University (1988-1989)
Professional & Community Service
Chair, Faculty Status Committee, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2008-2009
- Set Design, Make Believe, a world premiere by Kristin Froberg. Salomon Theatre, Spring 2007.
- Guest Speaker, New Faculty Seminar, “Diversity” Panel, Point Loma Nazarene University, Fall 2004.
- Panel Respondent, “Rhetorical Themes in The Matrix,” Film Forum, Point Loma Nazarene University, Spring 2003.
- Faculty Representative, Student Ethics in Communication Conference, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA, April, 2002.
- Director, 2002 Design Jury, San Diego State University.
- Panel Member/Respondent, New Faculty Seminar, “Survivors” Panel, Fall, 2001.
- Set Consultant, Shades of Grey, Advanced Video Production Project, PLNU, Spring, 2001.
- Faculty Representative, California State University Fresno, 28th Student Communication Conference, Fresno, CA, April, 2001.
- Faculty Representative, Student Ethics in Communication Conference, Pepperdine University, Malibu CA, April, 2001.
- Judge, Round Robin Debate Tournament of Champions, PLNU, Spring, 2000.
- Panel Member, "Faith and Film: A Wesleyan Perspective" A collaborative project of research and writing with a student colloquium, Fall 2000.
- Set Consultant, Hamlet, Salomon Theatre, Fall, 2000.
- Actors Equity Association (1987—)
- National Communication Association (1993-2002)
- Rhetoric Society of America (1994-1998)
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (2002—)
Professional Theatrical Stage Management (AEA & Waiver)
- Production Stage Manager, East of Eden. (World premiere in three full-length parts). Western Stage Co. 1992.
- Production Stage Manager Damn Yankees. Western Stage Co. 1992.
- Assistant Stage Manager Moon Over Miami. Yale Repertory Theatre. 1989.
- Production Stage Manager Struck Dumb, (premiere) with Joseph Chaikin. Mark Taper Forum/Taper Too, 1987.
- Production Stage Manager War in Heaven, with Joseph Chaikin. Mark Taper Forum/Taper Too, 1987.
- Stage Manager Boys from Syracuse. Musical Comedy/L.A. Palace Theatre, Hollywood, CA. 1986.
- Stage Manager Leave it to Jane. Musical Comedy/L.A., Palace Theatre, Hollywood CA. 1986.
- Assistant Stage Manager New Moon, with Ann Blythe. Long Beach Civic Light Opera, 1986.
- Assistant Stage Manager Cabaret, with Artie Johnson. Long Beach Civic Light Opera, 1986.
- Assistant Stage Manager King Roger (English Premiere), Long Beach Opera, 1985.
- Production Stage Manager White Seal Coat (premiere), Theatre Exchange (waiver). Hollywood, CA. 1985.
Television, Film, and Technical Theatre
- Staging/Scenic Carpentry Treasures in your Home. PAX Network, 1999-2000.
- Staging/Scenic Carpentry 700 Club. Christian Broadcasting Network, 1993-99.
- Staging Big Brother Jake. Family Channel, 1993-1997.
- Staging Heart to Heart. Christian Broadcasting Network. 1991-1993.
- Staging Straight Talk. Christian Broadcasting Network. 1991, 1993-1994.
- Staging If I Die Before I Wake. CBS After-School Special. NorthStar Productions, 1991.
- Staging The Emancipation of Lizzie Stern, CBS After-School Special. NorthStar Productions, 1993.
- Electrics Crew Young Messiah. Family Channel, 1993.
- Electrics Crew Hallelujah Holidays with Sammy Davis Jr. Long Beach Sports Arena, 1986.
- Production Assistant Gallagher's Messiest Show Ever. Showtime Cable. 1985.
- Crew Peter Pan, with Cathy Rigby. Long Beach Civic Light Opera. 1985.
- Crew Sunday in the Park with George. Long Beach Civic Light Opera. Long Beach, CA.
- Crew Forty-Second Street. Long Beach Civic Light Opera. Long Beach, CA.
- Load and Hang Crew, Pharmaceuticals Industrial. Universal City, CA, 1984.
PLNU Theatre (2000-2008)
- Set Design Glass Menagerie, Salomon Theatre, 2008.
- Director Caucasian Chalk Circle, Salomon Theatre, 2008.
- Set Design Maids, Salomon Theatre, 2008.
- Set Design Make Believe, Salomon Theatre, 2007.
- Set Design & Construction, My Fair Lady, Crill Auditorium, 2005.
- Director Star Spangled Girl, Salomon Theatre, 2005.
- Set Design & Construction Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged), 2004.
- Director Uncle Vanya, Salomon Theatre, 2004.
- Set Design & Construction Relative Terms, Salomon Theatre, 2004
- Director Arsenic & Old Lace, Salomon Theatre, 2003.
- Director Talley’s Folly, Salomon Theatre, 2003.
- Set Design & Construction Sound of Music, Crill Auditorium, 2003.
- Director Waiting for Godot, Salomon Theatre, 2002.
- Set Design & Construction Twelfth Night, Salomon Theatre, 2001.
- Set Design & Construction Into The Woods, Crill Auditorium, 2001.
- Set Consultant, Hamlet, Salomon Theatre, Fall, 2000.