General On Line Current Event Sources
- The US sources for news are just below, and then in two columns are newspapers from around the world. A few of them require you to push a button to get the English version, so please be aware of that.
- ABC News Online
- Agence France-Presse
- Associated Press
- CBS News Online
- CNN Interactive
- Christian Science Monitor
- Drudge Report
- Fox News Online
- United Press International
- Arizona Republic
- Boston Globe
- Chicago Tribune
- Dallas Morning News
- Los Angeles Times
- New York Times
- Rocky Mountain News
- San Diego Union-Tribune
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Washington Post
- Washington Times
Overseas Newspapers - Listed Geographically by Region
- Austria (In Austrian)
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
South America Newspapers
Middle East Newspapers
- Bahrain and
- Bahrain Tribune
- Israeli - Palestinian Joint News
- Arabic News
Debate Related Database Links:
The following links lead to data bases that store general information on commonly debated issues. Look too to the school's library site that has excellent electronic research resources. Especially note Lexis Nexis, CQ Researcher, CQ Weekly, ProQuest, NewBank, etc. . . (Other data bases specifically for debate sites and think tanks will be added to this homepage)
- Instructional Debate and Persuasion Lectures
- Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics - Bureau of Justice Statistics Sourcebook
- Office of Applied Studies (OAS) - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Statistics
- Skeptic's Dictionary
- Writing & Logic
- Pro and Con Debate Cases on many topics
- Judging Philosophy data base
- Best site for all things related to debate, look to Debate Info Archive
- Brookings Institute think tank
- Home page for Cato Institute think tank
- Winning Argument Blogspot
- Sponsored by the Academy of American Poets, the largest organization in the country dedicated specifically to the art of poetry. This site currently includes nearly one thousand poems, with new ones being added all the time. You can search for text within a poem, or browse the list by title or first line.
- Librarian's Index to the Internet
- Links to all aspects of literature, including poetry and short stories.
- Patchwork Prose and Quilted Poetry
- A collection of prose and poetry that focuses on women - Poetry Archives
- The Poetry Archive
- The Poetry Archive strives to be the largest collection of free classical poetry on the Internet. Includes a simple, easy to use database system where users can search through the database of poetry by author, title, and first line of poem.
- Poetry Daily
- An anthology of contemporary poetry that each day brings readers a new poem from books, magazines and journals currently in print, along with information about featured poets and publishers, news from the poetry world, and occasional special features.
- Poetry Portal
- Poetry Portal is a directory or guide to the Internet poetry world, A simple-to-use and comprehensive overview of what's currently online.
- An online collection of expression pieces: fiction, poetry, prose, narratives, travelogues, and letters.
- Yahoo Poetry
- A comprehensive list of poetry resources.
- ELAC Play and Monologue Collection - Play collection from East Los Angeles College Theatre Arts.
- Playwright's Workshop - Canadian plays from the Playwright's Workshop, Montreal.
Interpretation Source Database Links:
These links lead to possible interp sources, movie scripts, poetry pages, prose pages . . .
- Script City
- Hip Hop Poetry
- Great tips for getting started
- Drama- Samuel French
- Drama- Stage Plays
- Drama- UVIC
- Drama- Dramex.org
- Prose & Poetry
- Poetry Now
Rhetoric Database Links:
These links will help for both researching rhetoric projects, and for preparing Rhetorical Criticism or Communication Analysis speeches for competition.
- American Rhetoric
- Angelfire Rhetoric
- Abbreviated Supreme Court Case Summaries
- Filemaker Forensics
- Movie Ministry
- Electronic Scripture Research Base
- Forsaken Roots
- Naves Topical Bible
- Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
Government Agencies and International Organizations
- State Department
- DOD-The Pentagon
- Bosnia Link
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy
- Google Site for Government Research
- Housing and Urban Development
- National Security Agency
- Thomas--Congress Online
- Amnesty International
- The RAND Institute
- US Supreme Court
- Health And Human Services
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- Forensics Database
- Forensic Friends
- Check the facts in the presidential election claims and counter claims
Searchable directory of links, organized by categories: Vendors, U.S. Dailies, Canadian newspapers, Collectives, Weeklies, Business Papers, Alternative Press, Internationals, Press Associations, College Newspapers, and Newspaper Archives. From the Newspaper Association of America.
Librarians' Index to the Internet (lii.org)
Searchable, browsable Web site of Internet resources selected and evaluated by librarians for their usefulness to public librarians and the general public. All entries are carefully reviewed and evaluated before entry into the lii.org database and then maintained throughout their life cycle. The motto of lii.org: "Information You Can Trust."
This excellent subject directory (focused on British Internet resources) is searchable, and is organized by the Dewey Decimal Classification, making it one of the largest DDC Internet subject directories available. It is a well organized site, with brief annotations.
INFOMINE: Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
A multi-disciplined, annotated directory of tens of thousands of links to "university level research and educational tools on the Internet." Includes "databases, electronic journals, electronic books, bulletin boards, mailing lists, online library card catalogs, articles ... [and] other types of information." Tens of thousands of records, some created by librarians, others generated by robot-crawlers. Searchable and browsable. From the University of California, Riverside.
This commercial site provides a searchable, lightly annotated directory of thousands of subjects and Web sites; a Web search engine; and a database of full-text articles from several hundred periodicals.
This search engine claims it "helps you get the best grip on information" through "multiple seamless dimensions for information search and retrieval."
Google Advanced Search
A more exacting search of the Google collection.