Clarinet and Saxophone
- Adjunct Faculty - Clarinet and Saxophone
- BS Music, Crane School of Music
- MS and Professional Diploma, Columbia University
The affable Peter DeLuke started his professional career as a reed player when he was 15. He received a B.S. at the Crane School of Music, and later received a Masters Degree and a Professional diploma from Columbia University. He was Supervisor of Music, Hastings Public Schools, K-12, in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, from 1960-85. He played with many name bands...Benny Goodman, Jimmy Dorsey, Charlie Barnet, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Buddy Morrow, Mel Lewis, Art Mooney, Shep Fields, Sammy Kaye. Henry Jerome at the Edison Hotel for two years, and the Vincent Lopez Orchestra, at the Taft Hotel for six months.
Pete has also performed with many legendary singers...Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Mel Torme, Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Julius LaRosa and Perry Como. He was part of a quartet which featured Mike Mainieri on vibes, Gene Bertoncini on guitar and Johnny Morris on piano. He also performed with Gene Bertoncini at the Madeleine Cafe in New York on New Yearʼs Eve for 5 years. In 1982, Peteʼs Jazz Trio opened The New Cafe Lounge at The Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. A feature article on Peter appeared in Venice Magazine, April, 1994, written by Jan Holland. A second feature article appeared in the LOS ANGELES TIMES written by Dirk Sutro.
Since 2004, Peter has served as adjunct Professor PLNU. Performances Since 1991 Include:
- July, 1991, The North Sea Jazz Festival.
- 1991, London, The Bass Clef and The Bullshead in Barnes.
- October, 1992, THE JAZZ BAKERY in Culver City, Ca. and again on April 23.
- 1996, with Frank Strazzeri on piano, Tim Emmons, bass and Michael Preussner on drums...recorded live.
- July, 1993, with his quartet at The Birmingham, England Jazz Festival featuring All Stars from the U.S.A.
- November, 1993, he at The Brasserie, Bellage Hotel in Los Angeles, with Stewart Elster on piano, John Clayton, bass and Bob Leatherbarrow on drums.
- 1991-92, The Marine Room in La Jolla .
- 1993-94, The Gourmet Lounge at The Town and Country Hotel in San Diego.
- June, 1996, featured soloist with the UCSD Wind Ensemble under the direction of Robert Zelickman.
- 1997, PROJAM.
- August, 1997 and February 1998, Scripps Miramar Ranch Library.
- January, 1998, Poway Center for the Performing Arts.
- June 1998, Escondido Public Library.
- Summer 1998, with his quartet as the opening act for the Summer Pops Symphony.
- February 1999, with the DUKE ELLINGTON ORCHESTRA at Copley Symphony Hall, Poway Center for the Performing Arts, and the Sports Arena.
- August 1999, featured soloist with the SAN DIEGO CHAMBER ORCHESTRA, Donald Barra, Artistic Director, at the “FESTIVAL POPS “99” series RanchoBernardo and “Under the Stars at the Del Mar Fairgrounds”.
- Presently he he leads a nine piece Duke Ellington Repertory Jazz Orchestra, “Mellotones”in Southern California.
- “MIXT BAG” in 1991 at Paciﬁque Studios in Burbank, Ca. The
recording featured John Clayton on bass, Jeff Hamilton on drums, Stewart Elster on
piano, and Pete playing alto and tenor sax, clarinet, and doing vocals.
- “TIMELESS”. on San Jazz label. It featured drummer, Billy Higgins, Jeff Littleton,
bass, Frank Strazzeri on piano and Peter De Luke, leader, performing on soprano, alto