Reading and Literacy Added Authorization
The School of Education offers an Added Authorization in Reading and Literacy for teachers interested in advanced level professional development in the teaching of reading. This authorization qualifies you to work with above-level or struggling readers in a K-12 setting. This 12 semester unit program can be taken as part of a Master's degree or as a stand-alone authorization.
For all included coursework, visit out current catalog.
This program is ideal for:
- Experienced teachers who work with students with special needs, English learners, and the Gifted and Talented (GATE).
- Experienced teachers seeking educational and salary advancement.
- Newly credentialed teachers can complete the coursework and add this authorization after 3 years of experience.
Upon successful completion of this graduate course of study and three years of teaching, candidates may apply to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for the Reading and Literacy Authorization.
- Total Semester Units: 12 semester units
- Format: Combination of face-to-face and distance learning. In-class meetings are from 4:30-9 p.m., one night per week for a period of 8 weeks.
- Completion time: 12-18 months
- Location: Regional centers in Mission Valley-San Diego, and Bakersfield.
- Tuition and fees: Please visit our Graduate Student Financial Services website.
- Fieldwork: Off-site placements where candidates work directly with students.
- Transfer units: Approved graduate level coursework work may be considered.