Counseling and Guidance
In PLNU's professional school counseling program, our expert faculty will equip you to transform your school one life at a time. You will be grounded in the theories and history of school-based counseling practices, K-12, college and career, while also developing your own expertise - all under the guidance of knowledgeable mentors. We will empower you to develop students and young adults to achieve their life potential.
This Master of Arts degree (36 semester units) can specialize in College Counseling and Student Development, or is the route to the K-12 Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential. The PPS Credential is a total of 48 semester units. This is the required credential to serve as a public school counselor. The Child Welfare and Attendance Authorization can be added to the PPS credential for 12 additional units (150 fieldwork).
For all included coursework, visit our current catalog.
This program is ideal for:
- Aspiring elementary, middle, or high school counselors.
- Education counselors in Institutions of Higher Education.
- Candidates working in residential and student life services at a community college or university.
- Educators in Human Services professions in the public or private sector.
- Experienced educators seeking educational/career/salary advancement.
- Total Semester Units: MA in Education, 36 semester units; MA and PPS Credential 48 semester units; Child Welfare and Attendance Authorization, 12 additional units.
- Format: Combination of face-to-face and distance learning. In-class meetings are from 4:30-9 p.m., one night per week for a period of 8 weeks.
- Completion time: 18 - 30 months
- Location: Regional centers in Mission Valley - San Diego, and Bakersfield.
- Tuition and fees: Please visit our Graduate Student Financial Services website.
- Fieldwork: Off-site placements where candidates work directly with students as assigned by the Field Experience Coordinator at the regional center (number of hours varies by program).
- Transfer units: Candidates may transfer up to 6 units of approved graduate level coursework to this program.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
A Graduate Enrollment Counselor is available to answer questions about the admissions process, priority application dates and requirements.
KEY CONTACTS BY LOCATIONBakersfieldAmanda Bolton, Graduate Enrollment Counseloramandabolton@pointloma.edu(619) 563-2810
Mission Valley (San Diego)Amanda Bolton, Graduate Enrollment Counseloramandabolton@pointloma.edu(619) 563-2810