Multiple Subjects Preliminary Credential (MAT Program)
The Preliminary Multiple Subject credential is 33 semester units of a 46 semester unit Master's degree. Candidates will apply their learning in fieldwork and Clinical Practice experiences in elementary school classrooms.
PLNU preliminary credential candidates develop the necessary knowledge, skills, and dispositions to be highly qualified, high performing educators of character in an age of assessment and accountability.
For all included coursework, visit our current catalog.
This credential program is ideal for:
- Undergraduates at Point Loma's main campus aspiring to be elementary grade level teachers.
- Post B.A. graduates who are seeking to teach in a K-12 self-contained classroom.
- Private or charter school teachers seeking a California credential.
- Total Semester Units: Phase 1 credential, 33 semester units, Phase 2 MAT completion, 13 semester units.
- Format: Combination of face-to-face and distance learning. In-class meetings are from 4:30 - 9 p.m., one night per week for a period of 8 weeks.
- Completion time: 18-24 months
- Location: Regional centers in Mission Valley - San Diego, Bakersfield, and Inland Empire.
- Tuition and fees: Please visit our Graduate Student Financial Services website.
- Clinical Practice: During the culminating experience, candidates work full time in a classroom for a semester under the guidance of a Cooperating Teacher. Schools are assigned by the Field Experience Coordinator at each regional center.
- Transfer work: Candidates may transfer up to 6 units of approved graduate level coursework to this program.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
A Graduate Enrollment Counselor is available to answer questions about the program, admissions process, priority application dates and requirements.
Stephanie Meier, Graduate Enrollment Counselor
Inland Empire (Corona)
Amanda Bolton, Graduate Enrollment Counselor
Mission Valley (San Diego)
Jessica Hill, Graduate Enrollment Counselor