Residential Life Policy Exceptions
Since Point Loma Nazarene University is a residential campus, all students are required to live on campus. Exceptions to this policy are:
- A student who lives at home with his/her parents
- A student who is 23 years of age or older
- Students who are married
- Students working in a live-in work arrangement (not applicable for freshmen and sophomore students)
Note: Once a student enrolls as a resident student for a particular academic year, s/he is no longer eligible to apply for an automatic exception for that academic year.
Any requests for an exception must be filed with the Office of Residential Life.
In addition to the exceptions above, some students are approved to live off campus. This usually happens for the Fall semester, and very rarely for the Spring semester. Students who want to live off campus should apply to live off campus for the Fall semester. This is done during a specific time frame in the housing selection process. Students should pay careful attention to the process so that they do not miss the deadlines for applying to move off campus for the following year. Not all applications received are approved, so students should not assume any such request will be granted prior to receiving approval.
Students who would like to apply to move off campus must:
- Be a junior or senior in the year in which they are applying for off campus approval.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Be in good standing with chapel attendance.
- Not have had disciplinary sanctions in the previous two semesters – especially for drugs, alcohol, or tobacco violations.
- PLNU Student-Athletes should refer to additional information found in the Student-Athlete Handbook.
- A student who will be a graduating senior in the following academic year and who elects to live off campus must do so within the designated window of opportunity set forth by the Office of Residential Life.
- Students and families experiencing financial difficulties will be referred to the PLNU Office of Student Financial Services for the purpose of a financial evaluation.
A student should take no action to move off campus until written permission to the student's official PLNU email account from the Office of Residential Life is granted. Signing a lease for an off campus living arrangement or making other arrangements does not break the contract that a student has with Point Loma Nazarene University.
Once a student moves off campus s/he must change his or her address and phone in the student portal within 10 days in order to avoid room and board charges.