Passport Required for Mexico Travel: As of January 2009, a valid U.S. passport is required for all to enter and exit Mexico. Birth certificates are no longer accepted as appropriate documentation. Only a passport will get you in and out - by both land and air. Info and links to application forms are below.
Please don't wait - start this process now to ensure that you can participate in S.A.L.T. Mission Camps this summer!
The NEW Passport Card: In addition to the traditional passport book, a passport card is now being issued for a much cheaper price. Since this card is ONLY accepted at Mexico-U.S. land crossings, it is a great option for those attending this year.
Passport Book/Card Prices:
|New Book: 16 & older||$135|
|New Book: 16 & younger||$105|
|New Card: 16 & older||$55|
|New Card: 16 & younger||$40|
|Renewal Book: 16 & older *||$110|
|Renewal Book: 16 & younger *||$105|
* If you already own a passport book, but would like a new passport card, you pay the renewal fee and go through the renewal process. Renewals are only possible for those age 16 & older. Those younger than 16 must apply for a new passport.
Passport Websites & Forms:
The Official Passport Website provides all the forms and info for your specific needs:
- Applying for a Passport Book/Card For the First Time (same form for both)
- Special Requirements for Those Under 16 Applying for First Time or Renewal
- How to Renew a Passport
- What to Do About a Lost or Stolen Passort
- Application Processing Time
Steps to Applying for a Passport:
- Complete the correct passport application for your needs. All information must be accurate. Do NOT sign the application form until the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so.
- Apply in person at a Passport Application Acceptance Office. Office locations can be found at http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/where/where_4851.html
- You will need an original or certified copy of your birth certificate or a previous passport.
- Include two passport-style photos. These can be taken at post offices and mail centers.
- Those 16 & older, bring your driver's license or state ID. Those 16 & younger must be accompanied by parents/guardians with appropriate ID.
- Don't forget your payment! Refer to the chart above. Accepted payment methods: Credit Card, Debit/Check Cards, and Checks (personal, certified, or cashiers' ).