Appeals for Special Circumstances
Federal regulations provide the SFS office with discretionary authority to make case-by-case adjustments to student/parent FAFSA data in cases of special circumstances. Special circumstances may include:
- Documentable significant reductions to income (loss of job, reduction of work hours, etc.)
- Unusually high medical or dental expenses (uninsured amounts only)
- A parent attending college
- Dependency status appeals
Depending on your special circumstance, you will have to submit one of the following forms:
- Appeal for Special Circumstances – Anything that has to do with income, loss of job, extra-ordinary expenses, etc.
- Appeal for Parent in College
- Appeal for Independent Student Status
Please follow directions on the form. You may be required to attached a detailed typed explanation of your special circumstances, including dates and dollar amounts and applicable supporting documents, such as disability eligibility letters, invoices and/or estimates of costs, receipts, cancelled checks, unemployment documentation (including the last pay stub), W2's etc. You may also have to attach letters of support.
Private school tuition appeals: PLNU does not consider appeals for private secondary school tuition. The Department of Education has provided guidance that professional judgements must be a unique circumstance and cannot be applied to a class of students.