Mandatory Legal Employment Paperwork
The first form you should receive from your supervisor once you have been hired is the Student Employment Authorization Form. These forms are available to all supervisors through the Student Employment Office of the Offices of Strengths and Vocation. This is a quadruplicate form that has three major sections: A Job Responsibility Statement; a section to be completed by you, the student; and a section to be completed by your supervisor. You are not required to enter your Social Security Number. This form should be completed whenever you obtain a new position on-campus, at the beginning of each new school year if you are returning to the same position from the previous year, and at the beginning of the summer (if you make the decision to stay on campus and work during the summer). This process is to be completed before your first day of training or work.
Have You Worked On-campus Before?
If you have been employed on-campus before, the only step required is for you and your supervisor to complete a Student Employment Authorization Form. Once the form is filled in, please bring it to the Student Employment Office, located in OSV on the third floor of the Ryan Learning Center in Suite 306.
The Employment and Internship Coordinator will process your form and return the last two pages to you. The pink form is to be given to your supervisor and you will keep the last page for your records.
Is This Your First Job On-campus?
If this is your first job 0n-campus, you must complete the following steps before you begin your first day of training or working. Please read all instructions thoroughly before starting to fill out the forms!
1. Complete the Student Employment Authorization Form ~ both you and your supervisor are to fill in the appropriate sections of this form.
2. Print off and fill-in the W-4 and I-9 forms which are provided and explained below. Collect the personal documents in compliance with the I-9 requirements as identified below.
3. Bring the Student Employment Authorization Form, the W-4, and the I-9 with personal documents to the Student Employment Office located in OSV on the third floor of the Ryan Learning Center in Suite 306.
The W-4 is an IRS tax form that must be completed for the first job you were hired for on-campus and before you can officially be added to the PLNU payroll. Download this form from the link provided and copy as a two-sided document. This form will remain on file for the duration of your time at the university. A new form will only need to be done if something has changed in your personal status, i.e., you got married.
Important details when filling out this form ~
- For the address, please enter your permanent off-campus residence rather than a temporary address or on-campus address.
- Careful consideration is to be given to question #5, Total Number of Allowances You Are Claiming for tax purposes. The number you enter in this field will be based on:
- a) whether you are or will start doing your own taxes now, or
- b) if someone [your parents, for example] are claiming you as a dependent on their taxes. If you are a dependent, please confirm the number that should be entered on line 5.
- As a dependent, you will only be required to complete the bottom portion, Employee's Withholding Allowance's Certificate. If you will be doing your own taxes, you will need to complete the Personal Allowances Worksheet section and the Withholding Allowance's Certificate.
- Even though the instructions say to separate the Withholding Allowance's Certificate from the top portion of the form, please bring the entire form with you to the Student Employment Office.
- Please do not sign or date the form until you are meeting with the Employment & Internship Coordinator to complete all of your paperwork. This form will then be sent to the Payroll Office with the yellow copy of the Student Employment Authorization Form.
The I-9 is a form required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for the purpose of establishing both your identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Download this form from the link provided which includes all of the instructions pertinent to filling out this form. The only pages necessary for your employment process are pages 7 and 8; please print these pages as a two-sided form. You will only complete Section 1 of page 7.
You will also need to bring the following:
- a current passport, or
- your PLNU Student ID or Driver’s License and Social Security Card.
These must be original documents; photocopies or faxes are not acceptable. A complete list of acceptable documents is listed on page 9 of the I-9 instructions.
As with the W-4, please enter your permanent off-campus residence rather than a temporary or on-campus address. Please do not sign or date the form until you are meeting with the Employment & Internship Coordinator to complete all of your paperwork. This form must be completed before you may begin your first job on campus and will be kept on file for the duration of the student’s time at PLNU.
If you have any questions, please contact Debra Lively, Employment and Internship Coordinator, at DebraLively@pointloma.edu or (619) 849-2663.