A counselor for over thirty years and a veteran professor of twenty-eight years, Dr. Welch has been invited to lecture at four different universities and is in private practice and previously employed as a marriage and family therapist staff member at Charter Behavioral Health System of Kansas City, a psychiatric hospital. For fourteen years, Don served as Professor of Christian Education and Family Studies at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe, Kansas where he was honored as Teacher of the Year (voted by faculty and student body) and included in several Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers.
He is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, a Kansas Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist and a Clinical Member and Approved Supervisor in the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists.
For the past twelve years, Dr. Welch has served Point Loma Nazarene University as an adjunct psychology professor. As a thirty-two year ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene, Dr. Welch has served as senior and associate pastor as well as the preaching/interim pastor at six rural and suburban churches in Kansas, Missouri, and California. For the past twelve years, he continues at the Skyline Wesleyan Church in La Mesa, California as their part-time counseling pastor where he has produced 119 broadcasts of “My Therapist ‘Sez’…” a live-streamed production where medical doctors, psychotherapists, and other relationship specialists interact with a live audience while discussing relationship issues.
For years Dr. Welch owned and directed Family Counseling Services, San Diego’s first and oldest professional Christian Psychotherapy center. Along with his wife, Robin, Don founded the Center for Enriching Relationships (www.CERsandiego.org), a nonprofit professional Christian Psychotherapy center now partnering with Point Loma Nazarene University’s Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling program, where he gives leadership to 30 psychotherapists who are dedicated to serving San Diego’s under-resourced populations at 20 sites from North County to East County to South Bay.
As a prolific author, Dr. Welch has written extensively in books, magazines, biblical commentaries and methodologies, and newspapers including Point Loma Nazarene University’s ViewPoint Magazine, Group Publishing, The Preacher's Magazine, Bible Study Methodologies for Word Action Publishing, World Mission Magazine, the Kansas City Star newspaper, including the Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education (Baker Books) and Introducing Christian Education (Baker Books), Nazarene Publishing House and Beacon Hill Press. His most recent pending book is The Screen-Smart Kid: Equipping Children to Live in a Media-Saturated World. As a versatile and accomplished communicator, Dr. Welch has spoken about relational issues at academic conferences, revivals, churches, and retreats around the world.
Dr. Welch and his wife, Robin, are happily married and have two adult children. Having a heart for ministry to the underserved, Don and Robin have led eight Work and Witness teams to places like Mexico, the Philippines, the former Soviet Union, and the Caribbean where evangelism was conducted, buildings constructed, relief supplies distributed, and medical assistance provided.
- Ph.D., Education, University of Kansas, 1994
- M.S., Family Therapy, Friends University, 1998
- M.Div., Theology, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1986
- M.A., Religion, Point Loma Nazarene University, 1980
- B.A., Religion (Psychology Minor), Point Loma Nazarene University, 1978
PSY601 Issues in Psychotherapy: Theology Integration
PSY625 Counseling Theories and Faith Integration I
Experience in Field
- Private Practice, LMFT, 1998-Present
- Family Counseling Services, Inc., Owner/Director, 2011-Present
- Center for Enriching Relationships, Founder and Executive Director, 2008-Present
- Skyline Church, Counseling Pastor, 2006-Present
- Charter Behavioral Health System of Kansas City, MFT Staff Member, 1998-1999
- MidAmerica Nazarene University, Director, Freshman Seminar Program, 1998-2000
- MidAmerica Nazarene University, Head of the Department of Christian Education, 1997-2005
- MidAmerica Nazarene University, Chairman of the Division of Management and Human Relations, 1992-1997
- Nazarene Theological Seminary, Associate Registrar, 1989-1991
- Church of the Nazarene International Headquarters, Pastoral Ministries Coordinator, 1987-1989
- Rainbow Boulevard Church of the Nazarene, Senior Pastor, 1983-1987
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Associate Dean of Students, 1980-1983
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Assistant Chaplain, 1981-1983
- San Diego First Church of the Nazarene, Director of College Ministries, 1981-1983
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Resident Director, 1979-1981
Professional and Community Involvement
- Clinical Member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Kansas Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- California Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the State of California, 2011-present (LMFT #50129)
- AAMFT (American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists) Approved Supervisor, 2005-present (#77904 membership)
- Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist in the State of Kansas, 1998-present (#090)
- Ordained Minister, Church of the Nazarene, 1985-present
- Ordained Minister-Supply, Wesleyan Church, 2006-present
- For additional involvements and memberships, please refer to CV
Awards and Honors
- Strathmore's Who's Who, 2011
- Continental Who's Who, 2011
- Who's Who Alliance, 2010
- Distinguished Professionals Online, 2010/2011
- Presidential Who's Who, 2010
- Biltmore Who’s Who, 2007
- Cambridge Who’s Who, 2006
- National Registers Who’s Who In Executives and Professionals, 2006
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2002, 2004, 2005
- Gamma Epsilon Donald S. Metz Award for Distinctive Academic Contributions (Teacher of the Year by vote of faculty and student body), MidAmerica Nazarene University, 2000-2001
- Psi Chi Honor Society, 1998
- International Who’s Who of Professionals, 1997
- Outstanding Young Men In America: 1983, 1984, 1986
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Skyline Church, La Mesa, California, “My Therapist ‘Sez’…" monthly professional mental health panel moderator to live audience and 12,000+ Live Stream audience, May 2007-present
- Skyline Church, La Mesa, California, numerous preaching messages, 2006-present
- Skyline Church, La Mesa, California, Weekly 2B1 Marriage Class of 70+ couples, 2007-present
- Pacific Southwest District of the Wesleyan Church Young Leaders Retreat Keynote Speaker: California, August, 2012
- Ruth Institute: It Takes a Family to Raise a Village 4th Annual Conference, presenter, San Diego, California, August, 2012
- Pacific Southwest District of the Wesleyan Church: Young Leaders Retreat Keynote Speaker: California, 2011
- Point Loma Nazarene University, School of Theology and Christian Ministry, speaker, CMI-612: The Life of the Minister: Living Whole in Pastoral Service, Vocational Ministry: Hazards to a Healthy Marriage, October, 2010
- KPRZ 1210 AM (San Diego Christian Radio) numerous appearances with talk show host Keith Olson, Ph.D., 2005-2008
- For additional presentations, please refer to CV
- “My Therapist ‘Sez’...” 119 broadcasts including audio and video 2007-present.
- The Screen-Smart Kid: Equipping Children to Live in a Media-Saturated World. Beacon Hill Press of Kansas (pending), 2016.
- Seven Deadly Sins, Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City, 2016.
- Are You Parenting with Empathy or Anxiety (How Parents Unwittingly Contribute to a Child’s Emotional Stress), Refreshed Magazine, November 2014, pg. 16-17.
- When Prayer Isn’t Enough, Point Loma Nazarene University ViewPoint, 2006.
- Intensive Care (Be the One to Prescribe God’s Love to Kids in Crisis) Children’s Ministry Magazine, Group Publishing, July/August 2006
- Word Action Adult Sunday School Methodologies, Nazarene Publishing House, 2006
- Foreword to The Marriage Manual, by Dee Shaffer, Tate Publishing, 2005
- For additional publications, please refer to CV