Art is Harris' passion.
Line form, shape and color has intrigued him all his life. At age 12, he painted a self-portrait with a paint set that had been given to him. As he looked in the mirror, colors and shapes appeared as he captured his likeness and curiosity. Today, Harris looks back to this experience as the beginning of an adventure in the field of art.
He pursued his formal education in the arts, leading to a career choice that has taken him around the world. Now, his passion is to pass his experiences on to students.
Experiential learning, through seeing and doing, has prompted Harris to promote world travel as a part of the artistic experience. Through such experiences, students of the visual arts can absorb that which came before them and better transform their thoughts into forms more relevant to this time and place.
He teaches art history, painting, and photography and is the director of the Art Department Euroterm program.
- M.A., San Diego State University
- B.A., Fresno Pacific College
- Drawing I – ART 115
- Drawing II – ART 206
- Painting I – ART 210
- Photography I – ART 220
- Photography II – ART 320
- History of Western Art I – ART 200
- History of Western Art II – ART 201
- Introduction to Art – ART 100
Experience in Field
- Director of the Art Euroterm program
- Travel Study Tour in Europe, 2003 – present
- Traveled widely around the world: Europe, Asia, South America, Middle East, Australia, Pacific Islands, and India — researching for art history classes
Professional and Community Involvement
- Attend Skyline Wesleyan Church
- Judged 5nd Annual Religious Art Festival February, 2015
- Attended Venice Biennale – World exhibition of Art (summer 2015)
- Attended Whitney Biennial in NYC – Latest trends in American Art (summer 2014)
- Participated in Faculty Art Exhibition (spring 2014)
- Juror for St. Mark's Religious Art Festival, St. Marks United Methodist Church (spring 2013)
- Attended Documenta in Kassel, Germany – world exhibition held every five years (summer 2012)
- Juror of "A Slice of Life," an exhibition commemorating the 150th anniversary of the birth of Degas for Pastel Society of San Diego (April 1984)
Awards and Honors
- M.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1978
- William Bowne Scholarship (for European travel), 1976
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Boston Globe newspaper – Covered border issues, America’s Cup yachting race, forest fires and local politics along with Dean Nelson, 1984 – 1989. Photographs published.
- Christianity Today Magazine – Photograph published referencing the homeless
- Delivered a paper/slide presentation on ""Early Renaissance Painters and their Donors"" for San Diego Museum of Art; Dec. 2, 1983