Dr. Jeanne Maiden is honored to be at PLNU and looks forward to meeting students and helping them accomplish their academic/career goals. Her background in nursing is critical care and as a clinical nurse specialist, she is passionate about end-of-life issues, moral distress, and compassion fatigue within the nursing profession. She is a mom and grandmother with two wonderful grown children and two grandchildren, and is blessed by the love of her husband. They share their home with two cats and three dogs.
- Ph.D., University of San Diego
- M.S.N/C.N.S. Critical Care, San Diego State University
- B.S.N., National University, San Diego, CA
- A.A.S., State University of New York, Canton, NYa
- CNS Role Acquisition – GNSG 600
- Adult Gerontology Theory – GNSG 624
- Following Faithfully: Servant Leadership – GNSG 602
- Adult Gerontology Clinical Practicum – GNSG 624L
- Adult Gerontology Theory: Prevention, Wellness across the Continuum – GNSG 624B
- Leading Faithfully: Policy, Politics, Power & Ethics – GNSG 703
Experience in Field
- Sharp Healthcare, San Diego, CNS per diem projects, acute care and critical care, 2009 – present
- University of California, San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Education Development and Research, 1999 – 2006
- Tri-City Medical Center, Oceanside CA, Professional Development Specialist, 1995 – 1999
- Sharp Health Care, Grossmont, San Diego, CA, 1979 – 1995
- San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, 2002
- University of Phoenix, San Diego CA, 2000
- Grossmont Community College, San Diego, CA, 1989
Professional and Community Involvement
- Journal Reviewer for Journal of Nursing Education- Per Diem
Awards and Honors
- Sigma Theta Tau Research Award 2008 Zeta-Mu Chapter at Large
- Southern California Pain Initiative Champion Awardee, 2005
- University of California, San Diego, Marguerite Jackson Award for Professional Nursing Excellence, 2004
- University of California, San Diego, Award for Excellence in Nursing Leadership 2003
- University of California, San Diego, Exemplary Employees Nominee, 2001 – 2002
- ANCC Board Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist CNS-BC – original date 2010, renewed 2015, expires 2020
- Development of three online courses for the SON, 2015: GNSG 703, GNSG 624B, and NRS 360
- Administered GNSG 690, Special Topics Adult Gerontology Across the Continuum Hybrid, online course
- Sabbatical research: Exploring caring in nursing students at Point Loma Nazarene University; study completed spring 2016; presented Faculty Scholarship Day August 23, 2016
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Bruce, H., Maiden, J., Kim, S., (2015). Impact of a nurse-initiated ED sepsis protocol on compliance with sepsis bundles, time to initial antibiotic administration, and in hospital mortality. Journal of Emergency Nursing 41(2), 130-137.
- Maiden, J. (2014). Compassion fatigue in corrections. American Jails, May/June 35-38.
- Rubin,C., Bavin,R., Wessels, E., McGowan, B., Downer, S., Maiden, J., (2013)
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate: To bathe or not to bathe. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly 36 (2): 1-4.
- Maiden, J., Georges, J., Connelly, C. (2011). Moral distress, compassion fatigue, and perceptions about medication errors in certified critical care nurses. Dimensions in Critical Care Nursing 2011 30 (6):339-345.
- Maiden, J. (2010). Is your work environment healthy? Nursing 2010 Critical Care 5 (2): 32
- Maiden, J. (2008). The simple gift of presence Abbey Press Care Notes
- Maiden, J. (2008). Adhering to end of life decisions. Nursing 2008 Critical Care 3 (4):56
- Maiden, J. (2008).It’s a matter of time. Nursing 2008 Critical Care 3, (3): 56
- Maiden, J. (2007).Ongoing communication needed. Nursing 2007 Critical Care 2 (6):56
- Maiden, J. (2006). DNR & ICU= appropriate care? Nursing 2006 Critical Care 1 (6):64
- Maiden, J. (2006). Encourage advance directives”. Nursing 2006 Critical Care 1 (7):64
- Maiden, J. (1998-2015). Pulmonary diagnostic procedures. In Thelan’s critical care nursing diagnosis and management. Lough, M., Stacy, K., Urden, L.(Eds) St Louis, Missouri: Mosby. Multiple editions.
- Stacy, K, & Maiden, J. (2000-2015). Pulmonary assessment and diagnostics procedures. In Priorities in Critical Care Nursing. Urden, L., Stacy, K. (Eds) St Louis, Missouri: Mosby. Multiple editions.
- Book reviewer: American Association of Critical Care Nurses, January 2003
- Romer, A. Heller, K., Weissman, D, Solomon, M. (Eds.) (2002). Innovations in end of life care, practical strategies & international perspectives. Larchmont, NY: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- Grif Alspach, J. (1999). CORE curriculum review study disc for critical care nursing, Gastrointestinal, shock item writer.