Dr. Leih holds a Ph.D. in information systems and technology from Claremont Graduate University and a M.S. in computer science from California State University at Fullerton. Dr. Leih is also an alum of PLNU where he earned a B.A. in computer science. His industry experience includes over 25 years as an IT professional holding positions in systems administration, application development, business analysis, project management and director of information technology. Dr. Leih has been developing and teaching technology courses in programming, server administration, management information systems, project management, systems design and information technology for over 15 years as an adjunct professor and full time faculty member. He has taught courses at both the graduate and undergraduate level in information technology and business and was the chair of the information technology department at Trevecca Nazarene University before coming to PLNU.
Dr. Leih's research interests include IT governance, systems development practices, and technology course development. He is an active member in the Association of Computer Machinery and has presented papers and participated on panel discussion at the Americas Conference on Information Systems and other technology conferences.
Outside of the classroom, Dr. Leih enjoys fishing, backpacking and mountaineering. He has served on numerous advisor boards, including the Nashville high school’s IT academy boards and the Nashville Technology Council. Dr. Leih has served as a church board member, a lay pastor and Sunday school director in the church of the Nazarene and served as an ordained deacon at Hermitage Hill Baptist church in Nashville, TN.
- Ph.D., Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University
- M.S., Computer Science, California State University Fullerton
- B.A., Computer Science, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Project Management and Quality Assurance – ISS 342
Experience in Field
- Associate Professor, Mathematics and Computer Science Department, Point Loma Nazarene University (2016 – present)
- CIT Program Director, Point Loma Nazarene University (2016 – present)
- Associate Professor, Information Technology Department, Skinner School of Business and Technology, Trevecca Nazarene University (2009 – 2016)
- Department Chair, Information Technology Department, Skinner School or Business and Technology, Trevecca Nazarene University (2011 – 2015)
- IT Graduate Minor Director, Skinner School of Business and Technology, Trevecca Nazarene University (2012 – 2015)
- CIT Program Director, Skinner School of Business and Technology, Trevecca Nazarene University (2011 – 2015)
- IT Consultant, Health Stream, Nashville, TN. (2012)
- IT Director – Business Solutions, Pacific Sunwear Inc. Anaheim, CA. (2008 – 2009)
- Sr. Project Manager / Development Lead, Pacific Sunwear Inc. Anaheim, CA. (2000 – 2008)
- Adjunct Instructor, School of Extended Education, California State University (1994 – 2002)
- Manager Information Technologies, Weber Aircraft Inc. Fullerton, CA. (1995 – 2000)
- Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst, Weber Aircraft Inc. Fullerton, CA. (1990 – 1995)
- Computer Programmer/Analyst, Douglas Aircraft Company. Cypress, CA. (1989 – 1990)
- Manufacturing Methods Engineer, Douglas Aircraft Company, Cypress, CA. (1988 – 1989)
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Business Graduate Program, Trevecca Nazarene University, 2013
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Computer Information Technology Program, Trevecca Nazarene University, 2011
- 1st Degree Black Belt, Tang Soo Do, Aiten Ryu Christian Martial Arts School, 2008
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Burkhard, R. J., Horan, T. A., Hilton, B. N., & Leih, M., "Can Information Systems Foster Emotional Intelligence? A Design Theory-Based Approach." Journal of International Technology and Information Management 18.1 (2009): 99-IV.
- Leih, M. J., “The Impact of the Sarbanes Oxley Act on IT Project Management”, Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application (JITTA), 8:3 (2006) 13-30