Andrew Cramer is an interaction designer and educator working at the intersection of strategy and execution. He has over 13 years of experience leading design in start-up, in-house, and agency organizations in New York City. Andrew is committed to design that helps organizations discover opportunities for innovation and positive change. Andrew's focus is on designing large-scale systems for industries with complex domains, all from an optimistic, human-centered point of view. He has worked with large corporations and nonprofits including Apple, UBS, American Express, The Rockefeller Foundation, and Equinox--as well as various government entities.
Prior to joining the Art + Design department at PLNU, he most recently served as Creative Director at Frog Design and Experience Design Director at Fantasy, where he led design teams in translating research insights into actionable digital product, web, and service designs.
As an educator Andrew is passionate about teaching students the methods and value of developing human-centered interactions and strategic stories that drive innovation. His goal is to guide students and clients alike in utilizing design to better define problems, connect strategy to practice, and keep people at the center of their processes. Andrew has taught undergraduate and graduate level design at Carnegie Mellon University, Seton Hill University, New York University, and Pratt Institute.
Andrew holds a Master of Design from Carnegie Mellon University with a focus on interaction design and design research and a Bachelor's in Graphic Design from Roberts Wesleyan College.
Master of Design (M.Des), focus on Interaction Design and Design Research, Carnegie Mellon University
B.S., Graphic Design and Art Education, Roberts Wesleyan College
Awards and Honors
- Webby Awards People’s Voice Nominee, SYPartners’ Superpowers App, 2018
- Code for America Technology Award, Casebook Digital Platform, 2015
- UX Magazine Public Sector Experience Award, Casebook Digital Platform, 2015
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Fast Company Innovation Festival – Digital Transformation workshop. New York, NY, 2017
- Emerging Practices in Design for Human Services – guest lecture to School of Art + Design and School of Social Work at Roberts Wesleyan College. Rochester, NY, 2014
- City Series & World Economic Forum NYC Conference – workshop on design research. New York, NY, 2014
- The Governance Lab @ NYU and GovLab Academy – video module on human-centered design methods for a curated set of online curriculum in partnership with MIT Media Lab and NYU ITP. New York, NY, 2014
- NYU Stern School of Business – Design Thinking workshop for the student chapter of Net Impact, a business and social innovation group. NY, New York, 2014
- Critical Discussion of Statistical Graphics and Data Visualizations – presentation to NYC Data Visualization MeetUp group. New York, NY, 2013
“Social Work: From Services to Screen” – design research and service design article published in Touchpoint, The Service Design Journal. Vol. 5, Issue No. 2, 2013
Unifying Agile and User Experience with Live Style Guides – presentation to NYC Agile/UX MeetUp group. New York, NY, 2012