I have 20 years teaching, writing, communications, advising, researching, coaching, and mentoring experience. With my research, teaching experience with diverse populations, dedication to information literacy, multimodal approaches in and outside of the classroom, and university and community service, I aim always to be culturally relevant and current. In 2018, I gave a TEDx talk on technology and communication. My presentation addressed the transformative powers of communication, local and global communities, and connections across intellectual, cultural, and social landscapes.
- Ph.D., Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
- M.A., English, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island
- B.S., Accounting, University of Rhode Island Kingston, Rhode Island
- World Literature - LIT 3050
- Literature and Culture - LIT 2000
Experience in Field
- San Diego State University, Department of Rhetoric and Writing
- University of San Diego, Department of Communication Studies
- University of Rhode Island, Department of English
- Johnson and Wales University, Department of English
- Dirada Italian Institute, Calabria, Italy, Department of Modern and Classical Languages
Professional and Community Involvement
- California Faculty Association
- California Association of Teachers of English
- National Council of Teachers of English
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Judge. Creative Writing/Poetry/Short Fiction contests
- Mentor/Editor. Various student projects, undergraduate and graduate
- Poetry Slam/Spoken Word Performance Poetry Coordinator
- Creative Writing Club Director
- Professional Editor. Creative writing, technical writing, creative non-fiction projects
- Father Joe’s Villages, San Diego, Special Events, Food preparation and distribution
Mary, Star of the Sea, La Jolla, Fundraising, Eucharistic Minister
International Volunteer Headquarters, Costa Rica ESL Project
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- "The Changing Semiotic Landscape in Multimodal Communication: A Paradigm for Learning, Employing Film, Graphic Narrative, and Commercials," University of Connecticut, 2017.
- "Virginia Woolf’s New World: A World Emerged From Darkness," University of Rhode Island, 2000.
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- “Demystifying Public Speaking: Turning Nervous Energy into Positive Energy.” SDSU Staff Professional Development Conference. San Diego, CA, 2020.
- “The POWER Method: Purpose, Organize, Write, Engage, and Revise” Workshop. Mirati Group. San Diego, CA, 2019.
- “All We Really Need in Life is an A.P.P.: Awareness, Patience, Presence.” Print, 2019.
- “Write with MOXIE” Workshop. Open Enrollment at The Moxie Institute. San Diego, CA, 2019.
- “Speak with MOXIE” Workshop. Realty Income. San Diego, CA, 2019.
- TEDx Talk. “Does Technology Need a Time Out? Practicing Awareness. Patience, and Presence.” 2018.
- “Cultural, Historical, and Social Implications in Digital and Multimodal Literacy.” URI Film/Media Studies Colloquium. Providence, RI, 2016.
- “Interpersonal Communication and Positive Thought” GP Across America, Manchester, NH, 2014.
- “Identity and Your Career: Love what you do and never work a day in your life.” Career Day, Wickford Middle School, Wickford, Rhode Island, 2013.
- “Fundamentals of Communication: Communicating in the Digital Age” Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Providence, RI, 2009, 2010.
- “Multimodality in Websites and Graphic Narrative” Johnson and Wales University In-service, Providence, RI, 2009.
- “Teaching Students to Become Visually Literate” Cassola Conference, Providence, RI, 2009.
- “Multiple Intelligences and Learning Styles.” Cassola Conference, Providence, RI, 2007.
- “Faculty Colloquium: The Teacher as Writer.” RICTE Annual Fall Conference, Warwick, RI, 2006.
- Keynote Speaker NSCS Induction Ceremony: “Communication Skills and the Information Age” Kingston, RI, 2005.