Dr. Beth Chamberlain returned to PLNU in the fall of 2020 to serve as the Program Director and Associate Professor for the College Counseling and Student Development (CCSD) program in the School of Education. Prior to her current role at PLNU, Dr. Chamberlain served as an Assistant Professor and co-Program Director for the School Counseling program from 2007-2012. She went onto gain additional leadership experiences, most recently serving as the Dean of the School of Education at Pacific Oaks College in Pasadena, California. With over three decades of experience working in diverse educational settings and her doctoral focus in higher education leadership, Dr. Chamberlain has developed a passion to help foster transformative experiences for students in higher education through strategic partnerships, program development, collaboration with community organizations, and applied research. Prior to working in higher education, Dr. Chamberlain spent fifteen years working in public k-12 schools as a teacher and school counselor, primarily in urban and lower socioeconomic areas, and then three years in a suburban high socioeconomic area. While serving in public schools, Dr. Chamberlain also spent fifteen years assisting her husband in establishing Central City Community Church and Outreach, a nonprofit located in the “Skid Row” community of Los Angeles. After seeing discrepancies in educational and socioeconomic experiences of students and families in various contexts, as well as studying educational systems in Finland and South Africa, Dr. Chamberlain developed a research interest in Community Engaged Scholarship (CES); a way to approach research that requires partnering with communities to develop mutually beneficial research projects that generate solutions to social problems.
Ed.D., Higher Education Leadership, Azusa Pacific University
MA, Ed., Counseling and Guidance, Point Loma Nazarene University
BA, Liberal Studies and Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, Point Loma Nazarene University
Pupil Personnel Services Credential, Point Loma Nazarene University
Professional Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, California State University, Los Angeles
- GED 6076 Higher Education Leadership in Student Development
- GED 6070 Applied Psychology of Learning
- GED 6072 Philosophy of Education
- GED 6090 Contemporary Issues in Higher Education
- GED 6071S Seminar in College Counseling and Student Development
- GED 6071A Research, Field Studies, and Practicum in College Counseling and Student Development
- GED 6071B Research, Field Studies, and Practicum in College Counseling and Student Development
Experience in Field
- Associate Professor and Program Director, College Counseling and Student Development, School of Education, Point Loma Nazarene University, August 2020-present
- Dean of the School of Education, Pacific Oaks College, 2017-2020
- Director of the Learning Enrichment Center, Azusa Pacific University, 2014-2017
- Assistant Professor and Program Director, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2007-2012
- Adjunct Professor, PPS, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2006-2007
- School Counselor, La Canada Unified School District, 2004-2007
- School Counselor, Los Angeles Unified School District, 1996-2001
- Teacher, Los Angeles Unified School District, 1989-1996
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Association of University Women-member
- National Association of Student Affairs Professionals in Higher Education-member
- California Association of School Counselors-member
- Central City Community Church and Outreach (1989-2003). [assisted in establishing CCCC and CCCO]. Los Angeles, CA.
- Session Co-organizer, Career Development Conference for School Counselors (2010) [Mt. San Antonio Community College, Citrus Community College and Point Loma Nazarene University collaborated to bring a Career Development half-day conference for school counselors]. Mt San Antonio College, Walnut, CA.
- Session Co-organizer, Strengths Training for School Counselors (2008). [Citrus College, Monrovia Unified School District and Point Loma Nazarene University collaborated to bring free Strengths training to school counselors]. Arcadia, CA.
- Session Organizer (2007). Laws and Ethics of School Counseling-Presenter Carolyn Stone, Ph.D. Point Loma Nazarene University, Pasadena CA.
- Volunteer, Special Olympics
- Diversity Council Member, Azusa Pacific University
- University Access and Accommodations Committee, Chair
Awards and Honors
- Los Angeles County Office of Education, Recognition for PLNU PPS program, 2011
- Lighthouse Teaching Award, EDUCAP Association, 2008
- Founders Day Award, LCUSD, 2005-2006
- Alumni of the Year Award, PLNU, 1999-2000
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Taylor, D. & Chamberlain, E. (2020, October 15). Cultural Awareness, Antiracism and Inclusion within k-12 Classrooms [Webinar]. Intercultural Pathways, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2020, February) From Brown to School Closures! How can Students Win? [Panel Member]. Pasadena Unified School District, John Muir High School, Pasadena CA.
- Krause, J. & Chamberlain, E. (2020, February). Coming Together: Reclaiming our Roots in Early Childhood Education [Board of Trustees Presentation]. Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena, CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2019, February). Moving Beyond the Ivory Tower: A Qualitative Study Demonstrating the Bridge Between the Tower and Community as a Means to Create Change in Education [keynote]. New Environments for Education, International Congress of Educators Innovation in Education Conference, Lima, Peru.
- Chamberlain, E. (2019). Moving Beyond the Ivory Tower: How a Community Engagement Project Became a Bridge from the Tower to the Community (13424692). [Doctoral Dissertation, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA.] ProQuest Publishing.
- Chamberlain, E. (2018). Central City: The Heart of Skid Row [Presentation to Pasadena City of Learning]. Pasadena, CA.
- Chamberlain, E., Prabhakar-Dilapo, M. & Waterman, C. (2018). Current Trends in Teacher Education [Board of Trustees presentation]. Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2017). Higher Education in Crisis [Colloquium]. Pacific Oaks College Community Meeting, Pasadena, CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2017). Diversity in Higher Education: Creating Inclusive Environments [Diversity Awareness Week presentation]. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2015). Motivation in College: Discovering Your Capacity [New Student Orientation Presentation]. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa CA.
- Courduff, J. & Chamberlain, E. (2015). Accessibility: Unleashing the Power of Mobile Devices [co-presenter for Faculty Development Day]. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2015). Disability Awareness: Diverse Learners on College Campuses [Presentation]. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2014). Roadmap to Academic Success in College [workshop for Nursing Program]. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2015). Five Steps to Success in Graduate School: Overcoming Test Anxiety while in Nursing School [workshop for Nursing Program]. Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA.
- Chamberlain, E. (2007). Developmental Assets [Professional Development Presentation]. La Canada Unified School District, La Canada, CA.