Dr. Harry Watkins came to PLNU in 2001 with a background in academia and marketing. He began his career in marketing as the senior product line marketing manager at Tektronix in 1978, became the director of marketing and sales at Consep Membranes in 1984, and the marketing manager at Mentor Graphics Corporation in 1987. He launched his career in academia in 1992, when he became an associate professor of marketing at California Polytechnic State University, while also providing marketing consulting work for MarketQuest and the Aberdeen Group. During his tenure at PLNU, Watkins has taught marketing, strategy, and sustainability courses in the undergraduate and graduate programs. He has also been involved in growing sustainability awareness across the university, and been an active participant on various university-wide and Fermanian School of Business committees.
- Ph.D., Marketing Strategy, University of Oregon
- M.B.A., Marketing and Management Information Systems, University of Arizona
- B.A., Biology, Willamette University
- Corporate Social Responsibility – BUS 619
- Sustainability in Action – BUS 475
- Marketing Research – BUS 625
- Marketing Management – BUS 655
- Strategic Management – MGT 488
Experience in Field
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Professor of Strategy, Marketing and Sustainability, 2001 – present
- Marketing Consultant, 2001 – present
- Aberdeen Group, Research Director, 2000 – 2003
- MarketQuest, Principal Consultant, 1988 – 2000
- California Polytechnic State University, Associate Professor of Marketing, 1992 – 1999
- University of Oregon, Teaching Assistant and Instructor of Marketing, 1988 – 1992
- Mentor Graphics Corporation, Marketing Manager, 1987 – 1988
- Consep Membranes, Inc., Director of Marketing and Sales 1984 – 1986
- Tektronix, Inc., Senior Product Line Marketing Manager, 1978 – 1984
Professional and Community Involvement
- PLNU's Enrollment Management Committee, Member, 2015 – present
- Sustainability Studies Minor, Faculty Advisor, 2010 – present
- Researchers Implementing Conservative Action, Board Member, 2014 – 2016
- Jubilee Economics Ministries, Board Member, 2015 – present
- Journey Community Church, Men's Ministry Leadership Team Member, 2016 – present
- PLNU Sustainability Taskforce, Member
- Marketing and Creative Services Online MBA Demand Research, 2016
- APC Committee, Member, 2012 – 2014
- San Diego Regional Sustainability Partnership, Board Member, 2012 – 2014
- PLNU Marketing and Creative Services, Acting Director, 2004 – 2005
Awards and Honors
- Region 7 ACBSP Conference Best Paper Award, 2013
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Watkins, H. (2014, November). Rethinking Business: Towards a Prosperous and Sustainable SanDiego. Presentation to the Equinox Center.
- Watkins, H. (2013, May). Ideas for a New MBA Class: Building Sustainable Organizations. Presentation at the National ACBSP Conference.
- Watkins, H. (2013, January). Ideas for a New MBA Class: Building Sustainable Organizations. Paper presented at the Region 7 ACBSP Conference.
- Watkins, H., Bevins, A., & Tipton, B. (2012, April). Urban Agriculture: Pathways to Food Justice and Community Resilience. Presentation at the LaPaz Peacemaking Conference, Pasadena, California.
- Watkins, H. (2012, April). Garden Share: a Tool for Food Independence and Community. Presentation at the Cesar Chavez Dialogue Summit, San Diego, California.
- Watkins, H. (2012, May). How to Start a Community Garden: Lessons from the WCG Experience. Celebrating Community Gardens from the Ground Up. Symposium conducted at the San Diego Community Garden Network, San Diego, California.
- Watkins, H. (2009, October). Building Sustainability Into the Business Curriculum. Presentation at the CBFA Annual Conference, Rogers, Arkansas.
- Watkins, H. (2004, March). Marketing - Doing More (and Better) with Less via Hosting. Presentation at DCI's Customer Relationship Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Watkins, H. (2002, October). Bridging the Divide: Technology and the Marketing/Sales Interface. Presentation at invitation-only conference on Sales Effectiveness sponsored by Ventaso, Inc. and the American Marketing Association, New York, New York.
- Watkins, H. & Liu, R. R. (1996). Collectivism, Individualism and In-Group Membership: Implications for Consumer Complaining Behavior in Multicultural Contexts. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 8(3/4), 69-96.