Dr. José Muñoz has over 30 years of senior executive management experience in domestic and international public companies, private startup firms, and nonprofit organizations. Prior to his tenure at PLNU, he served as the CEO of Chicken of the Sea, after leading the team in the $400 million acquisition of the company from Ralston Purina. He has also served in C-level finance and accounting positions at various organizations, and is the owner of his own consulting firm, JEM, Inc., where he has completed numerous consulting projects in Mexico, South America, Asia, the South Pacific, Europe, and the U.S. Muñoz has served at PLNU since 2006, where he functioned as the associate dean of Graduate Business Education for six years before taking on his role as associate professor of business, teaching graduate- and undergraduate-level finance, accounting, international business, strategy, and healthcare finance courses. Muñoz is fluent in Spanish and is a Certified Public Accountant (Texas).
- D.B.A., Accounting, Anderson University
- M.B.A., Finance, Florida State University
- B.S., Finance and Management, Florida State University
- Managerial Accounting – BUS 615
- International Business – BUS 635
- Financial Management – BUS 670
- Healthcare Financial Management – BUS 687
- Strategic Management – BUS 695
- International Finance – FIN 435
Experience in Field
- JEM Inc., President and Owner, 1981 – present
- BC Abalone S.A de C.V., President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board; 1993 – 2004
- The Encore Group Inc., Investor and Member of the Board, 1992 – 2008
- Van Camp Seafood Company (Chicken of the Sea) Inc., President, CEO, and Director; 1988 – 1992
- PT Mantrust, Consultant/Advisor, 1984 – 1992
- American Tunaboat Association & American Tuna Sales Association, Consultant/Advisor, and Executive Vice President; 1981 – 1985
- Clipper Oil Inc., Investor and Member of the Board, 1980 – 1994
- Sun Harbor Industries, Vice President Finance and Treasurer, 1978 – 1981
- Solar Turbines International (International Harvester), Controller, 1976 – 1978
- Zapata Ocean Resources Inc., Vice President of Finance & Administration, 1974 – 1976
- Exxon Corporation, Senior Financial Analyst, 1972 – 1974
Professional and Community Involvement
- FSB Global Initiatives Committee, Member, 2015 – present
- PLNU Graduate Education Studies Committee, Member, 2013 – present
- Project M Foundation, Board Member, 2013 – present
- San Diego International Sports Council, Emeritus Board, 2002 – present
- Academy of International Business, Member, 2007 – present
- Christian Business Faculty Association, Member, 2007 – present
- National Association of Business Economics, Member, 2008 – present
- Santa Fe Christian School Athletic Advisory Board, Member, 2004 – 2006
- YMCA of Greater San Diego County, Vice Chairman of the Board, 1990 – 2004
- Florida State University Foundation, Board Member, 1992 – 1997
- Florida State University Southern California Alumni Association, Board Member, 1992 – 1997
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Muñoz, J. (2016). An Investigation of the Impact that the Reduction in Shares Outstanding Resulting from a Stock Buyback Program has on the Overall Changes in the Share Price Compared to the Changes in the Standard & Poor's 500 Index (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Anderson University, Anderson, Indiana.
- Muñoz, J. (2010, October). Rising Influence: China and the World Economy. Point Loma Nazarene University Viewpoint.
- Muñoz, J. (1995, October). The U.S. Tuna Industry - 1995. Presentation at the Papers of the 4th World Tuna Trade Conference, Manila, Philippines.
- Muñoz, J. (1993, October). The U.S. Tuna Industry - 1993; The Period of Change and Turmoil Intensifies. Presentation at the Papers of the 3rd World Tuna Trade Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Muñoz, J. (1991, May). The U.S. Tuna Industry - 1990; A Year of Continuing Change. Presentation at the Papers of the 2nd World Tuna Trade Conference, Bali, Indonesia.