Kathryn Huff (Kitty) is a poet, essayist, book reviewer, teacher, and editor who has delightedly found herself combining two of her great passions: helping others learn and writing, most recently at PLNU teaching composition and research. On a daily basis, she is mindful of God's grace and mercy — in her spiritual and professional life and in the spiritual and intellectual lives of her students. Her students may not be aware of this, but while she is helping them through their messy first drafts, she is aware that God is equipping each learner to be an effective member of the ongoing conversation in the academic community and in life beyond the university. She is active in Christian ministry, and she loves to spend time with family and friends, read, jog along the shoreline, bob in the waves at the beach, hike , travel, sing (alto) in her church choir and in PLNU's choral union, ride her bicycle, cook, and camp.
- M.F.A., Pacific University
- B.A. English with a concentration in Creative Writing, Minor in Linguistics, San Diego State University
- Professional Certificate, Teaching Adult Learners, University of California San Diego
- Professional Certificate, Instructional Technologies, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Professional Certificate in Applied Linguistics and English as a Second Language, San Diego State University
- College Composition: Writing and Research – WRI 110
- College Composition: Research – WRI 116
- Business Writing – MRD 300
- Professional Writing – WRT 300
Experience in Field
- Editor, Christian Services Network
- Free-lance Editor
- Teaching Assistant, American Language Institute
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Association of Writers & Writing Programs
- Member, Modern Language Association
- Member, American Academy of Poets
- Member, National Council of Teachers of English
- Member: Phi Beta Kappa
- Editorial Board, Poetry in the Cathedral
- Editorial Board, Poetry International
- Phi Beta Kappa Scholars in the School
- Border Voices Poetry Program
- Lilly Conference for Evidence-Based Teaching
Awards and Honors
- Intro to Journals Award Nominee, Association of Writers & Writing Programs
- Outstanding Graduate, San Diego State University
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- “Effective Writers/Effective Experts: Resources and Strategies for Teaching Writing Across the Disciplines.” Point Loma Nazarene University Faculty Development and Scholarship Conference, San Diego, California.
- Featured Poet, Santa Barbara Poetry Series
- Book Review: "One Hero's Necessary Crossing: Epitaphs for the Journey, by Paul Mariani, Ruminate Magazine
- Book Review: "Melting-Pot Recipe: Kibbe, by Susan Azar Porterfield, Ruminate Magazine
- “Writing under the Influence: How Reading Affects Writing.” Paper presented at the Poetry in the Cathedral Conference, San Diego, California
- “Writing to the G-spot: The Passionate Syntax of James Wright’s Poetry.” Paper presented at Pacific University, Oregon.
- “Extreme Communion: Biblical Parallelism in the Prayer Poems of Franz Wright, Herbert, Donne, and Rilke.” Paper presented at San Diego State University, San Diego, California.
- “My Becomings Kill Me: Mortal Speech Strategies of Shakespeare’s Tragic Heroines.” Paper presented at the Southeastern Renaissance Conference, Agnes Scott College, Decatur, Georgia.
- "Nadia Anjuman," "Spring Cleaning," InPosse Review (Poetry)