Dr. Mark Maddix, dean of the School of Theology & Christian Ministry, served in full-time pastoral ministry before becoming a professor. He is a frequent contributor to the Wesleyan Theological Journal and Christian Education Journal. He has co-authored or co-edited ten books including Discovery Discipleship, The Practicing Christian Education, Essential Beliefs, and Essential Church. He also has served as the president of The Society of Professors of Christian Education. Maddix teaches ministry-related courses such as Introduction to Ministry and Formation, Church and Mission, Worship, and Pastoral Leadership. As part of his call to ministry, he teaches at seminaries and Bible colleges around the world. He is a frequent speaker in the areas of Missional discipleship, spiritual formation, and online education. He and his wife, Sherri, have two adult children and a dog named Wesley. They enjoy traveling, going to the beach, and watching Kentucky basketball.
- Ph.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- M.Div., Asbury Theological Seminary
- B.A., Asbury College
- Christian Formation and Ministry – CMI 155
- Life of Holiness – THE 306
- Leading in Ministry – CMI 410
- Ministry Internship – CMI 450
- Church and Mission – CMI 646
Experience in Field
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Professor of Practical Theology, Dean of School of Theology & Christian Ministry, 2016 – present
- Northwest Nazarene University, Professor of Practical Theology, Dean of School of Theology & Christian Ministry, 2002 – 2016
- Nazarene Bible College, Professor of Christian Education, 1999 – 2002
- Table Church of the Nazarene, Co-Founder and Teaching Pastor
Professional and Community Involvement
- Society of Professors of Christian Education, Member and Former President
- Religious Education Association, Member
- Wesley Theological Society, Member and Chair of Practical Theology Section
- American Academy of Religion, Member
- Ministerial Credentials Board, Southern California District Church of the Nazarene
- Course of Study Advisory Board, Church of the Nazarene
- Society for the Study of Psychology and Wesleyan Theology, Member
- Salvation Army Advisory Board, Member and Former Chair
Awards and Honors
- MJ Murdock Charitable Trust, Vision and Call Grant
- The Church of the Nazarene, Educational Consultant
- Wabash Institute of Teaching and Learning, National Consultation on Spiritual Formation in Distant Education
- Lilly Foundation, Christian Education Consultation
- Watson Fellowship Grant, Inter-Faith Dialogue Grant
- Christian Education Journal Special Edition, Riley/Woodward Research Grant
- Society of Professors of Christian Education, President, 2012-14
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Maddix, Mark A. and James R. Estep. (2017). Practicing Christian Education: An Introduction to Ministry. Grand Rapids: Baker Books.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Stephen Riley, eds. (2017). God Still Calls: Discerning God's Direction for Service. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Dean G. Blevins, eds. (2016). Neuroscience and Christian Formation. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Diane Leclerc, eds. (2016). Essential Beliefs: A Wesleyan Primer. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Diane Leclerc, eds. (2014). The Essential Church: A Wesleyan Ecclesiology. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Diane Leclerc, eds. (2013). Pastoral Practices: A Wesleyan Paradigm. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Dean Blevins, (2010). Discovering Discipleship: Dynamics of Christian Education. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press.
- Inclusion or Exclusion: Wesleyan Eucharistic Theology of Mission and Reconciliation. Wesleyan Theological Journal, 54.1 (Spring 2019), 40-54.
- Embracing Postcolonialism: The Future of Christian Education, Christian Education Journal, 15:3 (Fall 2019), 479-490.
- Mark A. Maddix & Benjamin Espinoza. Cross Cultural Issues in Educational Ministry, Christian Education Journal. 15:3 (Fall 2019), 375-496.
- Mark A. Maddix & Benjamin Espinoza. Resources for Cultural Issues in Educational Ministry, Christian Education Journal. 15:3 (Fall 2019), 497-499.
- Rediscovery the Power of Scripture for the Church, Christian Education Journal, 15:1 (Spring 2018) 34-42.
- Mark A Maddix and Glena Andrews. Changing Behavior and Renewing the Brain: A Study of College Students, Christian Education Journal, 15:1 (Spring 2018), 6-20.
- Moral Exemplarity and Relational Atonement: Toward a Wesleyan Approach to Discipleship, Wesleyan Theological Journal, 50:1 (Spring 2015), 67-82.
- Developing Online Learning Communities, Christian Education Journal, 10:1 (Spring 2013), 139-148.
- Christian Nurture and Conversion: A Conversation between Horace Bushnell and John Wesley. Christian Education Journal, 9:2 (Fall 2012), 309-325.
- Drovdahl, Robert, Darwin Glassford, and Mark Maddix, editors. “The Role of Scripture in Christian Formation and Education,” Supplemental Issues, Christian Education Journal, 3:9 (Spring, 2012).
- Unite the Pair So Long Disjoined: Justice and Empathy in Moral Development Theory. Christian Education Journal, 8:3, (Spring 2011), 46-63.
- Maddix, Mark A. and Richard Thompson. The Role of Scripture in Christian Discipleship. Wesley Theological Journal, 46:1, (Spring 2011), 134-149.