For the 2022-2023 academic year, Dr. Sheri Strothers is honored to join the faculty at Point Loma Nazarene University as a visiting professor. For the past several years she has taught a variety of communication courses at Grossmont College and the University of San Diego, including public speaking, small group communication, principles of communication, leadership and interpersonal communication. Her doctoral studies at the University of San Diego focused on adult learning, leadership, small groups in mega-churches, education and small group dynamics. For several years Dr. Strothers served the Koinonia Institute, advancing Biblical scholarship to the world and launching a world-wide small group ministry. As an undergraduate athlete at the University of Florida, she focused on teamwork, which comes into play no matter what the endeavor! The mantra that drives her classroom is that "people don't care what you know until they know that you care," which is evident in everything she does, both on and off campus and in everything she expects from students.
In addition to teaching Sheri Strothers has enjoyed traveling all over the world but now prefers serving her community, hiking and biking local trails and being home with her husband, children, dogs and cats.
- Ed.D., Education Leadership, University of San Diego
- M.A., Communication, San Diego State University
- B.A., Speech Communication, Chico State University
- A.A., Education, Grossmont College.
- Public Speaking
- Small Group Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Interpretation of Literature
- Principles of Human Communication
Experience in Field
- Professor of Communication, Grossmont College
- Adjunct Professor of Communication, University of San Diego
- Adjunct Professor of Communication, Cuyamaca, Miramar and MiraCosta Colleges
- Teaching Assistant, University of San Diego
- Teaching Assistant, San Diego State University
Troop Coordinator, American Heritage Girls. Foothills Church
Ministry Lead for Small Groups, Jamul Church.
Customer Service Agent, Alaska Airlines
Professional and Community Involvement
- Alpha Chi sorority's pledge class president and sports coordinator at C.S.U. - Chico
- East County Chamber of Commerce LEAD member and member of inaugural master’s class
- Granite Hills High School Student Body President
- Granite Hills Senior Class Stand Out: Class Clown and Most School Spirit
Awards and Honors
- Dean's List Recipient: Grossmont College, San Diego State University, University of San Diego
- Voted most inspirational player for Grossmont College’ s state championship volleyball team
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Strothers (née Guseman), S. (2006). Acts 2:42 in 2006: Examining small group discussion in an American mega-church (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global (3218206)