- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of California, San Diego
- M.S., Applied Mathematics, University of California, San Diego
- B.A., Mathematics and Biology, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Complex Analysis – MTH 412, MTH 413
- Introduction to Statistics – MTH 203
- Linear Algebra – MTH 233
- Differential Equations – MTH 333
- Mathematical Modeling – MTH 373
- Mathematical Probability and Statistics – MTH 383
- Abstract Algebra – MTH 444
- Finite/Business Mathematics
Experience in Field
- Adjunct Professor of Mathematics, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA, 1982 – Present
- RF Communications Systems Division, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWAR), 1985 – Present
Professional and Community Involvement
- PMS data for Hmong Women, statistical analysis for master's thesis in anthropology
- Instrument data, step-wise regression analysis for research in psychology (Dr. K. Holly)
- Education data, statistical analysis for Ed.D. thesis
- Titanium vs. steel bolt data, hypothesis test for Binomial p parameter for agent of the NIS
- E2-C aircraft wiring risk analysis for in-flight occurrence of fires in cockpit
- Failure rate of LTS & SCP transducers (J. DeJaco)
- Grooming data for California Bighorn Sheep, statistical analysis for research (Dr. M. Mooring)
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- J.C. Allen & S.L. Hobbs; Spectral Estimation of Non-stationary White Noise; J. Franklin Inst., 334B, 1, pp 99-116, 1997
- S.L. Hobbs & S.S. Sritharan; Nonlinear Filtering for Semilinear Partial Differential Equations; Conference on Modern Analysis and Probability; ed Goldstein et al; Marcel Dekker, 1995
- S.L. Hobbs; Asymptotic Statistics for Location Estimates of Acoustic Signals; J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 91, 3, 1992
- S.L. Hobbs; Non-Parametric Estimation and Statistical Properties of an Ocean Acoustic Pressure Field; NATO Adv. Study Inst., Acoustic Signal Processing for Ocean Exploration, 1992 (SSC Publication Award)
- D.F. Gingras & S.L. Hobbs; Asymptotic Statistics for a Generalized Frequency-Wavenumber Estimation; IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech Sig. Proc., 38, 5, 1990
Reports and Papers:
- Hobbs co-author; National MDA Study Inter-Agency Investment Strategy Document; Sponsored by the National Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) Requirements and Capabilities Working Group; Prepared for the Joint Staff (F-5) Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, MDA Policy and United States Coast Guard Headquarters MDA Policies and Plans (G-5) Washington D.C.; 25 Jan 2007.
- C. Barton & S. Hobbs & J. Kaina; MDA Data Fusion and Analysis Findings (Classified Report); Sponsored by Dept Homeland Security Science and Technology and US Coast Guard MDA Fusion and Analysis Sub Working Group, MDA Implementation Team; 1 Feb 2007.
- C. Barton & S. Hobbs & J. Kaina & O. Kessler & B. Lapin & E. Tollefson & F. White; Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) Data Fusion Assessment; June 2006.
- G.W. Benthien & S.L. Hobbs; Calculation of Acoustic Loading on Transducers in the Time Domain; Oceans2003 Conference, 2003.
- D.F. Gingras & S.L. Hobbs; Asymptotic Statistics for Frequency-Wavenumber Estimation; IEEE Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 1988.