Nominations Open Through April 6, 2018.
Office of Diversity
The Excellence in Diversity Award is presented to recognize and salute campus participants that inspire excellence and innovation in best practices for inclusive excellence while honoring God's creation of all diversity. Whether a student, student group, faculty, faculty team, or staff individuals or teams, your commitment to diversity is appreciated.
The selection of the recipient(s) reflects work around one or all five focus areas highlighted for the award and serves as a guide in identifying exemplary research, programs, and initiatives. Nominated projects and programs must advance one or more of the following selection criteria:
- Leadership: Leadership in the development and implementation of programs with measurable outcomes for stimulating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive University.
- Campus Climate: Demonstrated efforts that foster an inclusive and supportive campus and/or classroom climate that encourage culturally competent and respectful interactions across diverse groups.
- Recruitment of Underrepresented Students and Faculty: Development of innovative methods/strategies around advising, mentoring, recruitment and retention of underrepresented students, faculty, and staff with measurable outcomes.
- Teaching and Learning: Research, teaching, and learning grounded in theories, concepts, methodologies, and/or practices that:
- Enhance diversity, advance equity and social justice and/or
- Contribute to an understanding of cultural differences through infusing the curriculum, co-curriculum and a focus on cultural competency.
- All Areas: Designed, implemented and/or participated in community service or ministry programs or initiatives that advance diversity across or beyond the university community such as outreach, partnerships, church settings, and service learning with the goals to deepen cultural competency.
Award and Recognition
Awards consist of certificates, plaques and funds to be used for supporting initiatives and/or professional development that enhances diversity at PLNU.
- An individual awardee will receive up to $1,000 in designated funds.
- A team will receive up to $2,000 in designated funds.
- Each awardee(s) will have their name(s) inscribed on a plaque that will be prominently displayed on campus.
- Recipients are announced and presented during the annual report on diversity. (April 26, 2018)
Recipient Selection Process
1. The Diversity Council Sub-committee will evaluate nominations based on the following characteristics:
- Sustainable Impact resulting in institutional change for achieving diversity.
- Collaboration with other units, departments, programs, or communities beyond the University.
- Accountability through assessment that establishes measurable outcomes or improvement.
- Intersections across multiple dimensions of diversity (**intersectionality).
2. Recipient(s) are chosen by the Diversity Council Award & Recognition Committee and submitted to the President for approval.
3. Recipient(s) are announced during the Annual Report on Diversity (April 26, 2018).
4. Nomination deadline is April 6, 2018.