Immunization Requirements 

See the list below of immunizations required for all main campus undergraduate students: 

  • Tetanus (Tdap must be within the last 10 years)
  • MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella (verification of two doses for students born after 1956)
  • Current Tuberculosis (TB) Screening (within one year of beginning classes)
  • Meningococcal (ACWY – within the past five years)
  • Hepatitis B Vaccine (series of three doses)
  • Varicella Vaccine (series of two doses or titer if student had disease)

Please download the PLNU Immunization Form for the list of requirements. A copy of your Yellow Immunization card or Immunization records from your doctor will work (the PLNU form is not required).  

Highly Recommended Immunization

  • Meningococcal B
    • Meningococcal disease strain B, commonly referred to as MenB, is the most common cause of meningitis on college campuses. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend being vaccinated against meningitis B. Do not make the mistake and think that the meningitis vaccination you received in high school will protect you – it does not. Make sure you have BOTH meningitis vaccines to fully protect yourself and those around you.

Immunizations Offered for Current Students

The following immunizations are available for current students at the PLNU Wellness Center (prices subject to change):

  • Tetanus-Diphtheria-Acellular Pertussis (Tdap) – $65
  • Meningitis (Menactra®) – $145
  • MMR Booster – $85 each
  • PPD Testing (TB) – $25
  • Flu Shot (seasonal price; only available while supplies last) – $25

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if my immunization records are lost or unavailable?

Proof of immunity through blood testing (IgG titer) is available for MMR, hepatitis B, and varicella (chickenpox). Remember, even if you’ve had the disease you may not be immune! You should follow the advice of your physician on how to proceed with required immunizations and TB testing if there is no immunization record available to you.

My doctor says I only need one measles immunization. Is this true?

The immunization recommendations released by the Centers for Disease Control and California Public Health Department state that a two-shot series of measles vaccine is required for full immunity with documented evidence for students entering college. You can obtain a blood titer to determine your immunity if you are unsure of your current status.

Why do I need to have two mumps vaccines?

In response to an outbreak of mumps on several college campuses in 2006, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American College Health Association have strongly recommended that students entering college have proof of two doses of a mumps vaccine or MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) or proof of immunity through blood testing. The Center for Disease Control has also recommended this as a way to decrease the risk of mumps among the students and others in the community in which they reside.

What's the difference between the Td (tetanus) and the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) vaccines?

The Td vaccine protects you against getting tetanus and diphtheria only. The Tdap vaccine will not only protect you from those two diseases, but also from pertussis (whooping cough). As a child, you may have been immunized against pertussis, but that immunity wears off over time, so by the time you enter college, you probably aren’t immune to pertussis any more. Pertussis is a highly contagious respiratory illness that often leads to other more serious illnesses.

In my country, a rubella immunization is required for females only. Is this true for PLNU?

Rubella immunity is required for all male and female PLNU students. Regardless of your sex, you must have a rubella immunization or a blood titer that proves immunity.

Will you accept my parent’s word that I was immunized for measles, mumps, and rubella?

While your parents may be a reliable source of knowledge about your childhood health, we do require medically documented proof of immunity. Blood titers can also be used to prove immunity. Remember, forms cannot be signed by your parents even if they are physicians.

What does “documented proof” of immunity mean?

Documented proof is a written record of your immunization dates provided by a high school, university, college, or physician’s office, and/or results of laboratory blood testing.

My blood titer was equivocal or borderline. Do I need another immunization?

Yes, because we can’t accept borderline immunity. You will need another immunization to boost your immunity.

Does everyone have to have a tuberculosis (TB) test?

All incoming students are required to submit proof of negative TB testing (skin or blood test) within one year prior to registration. TB testing is used to assist in the process of detecting possible exposure to tuberculosis. To reduce risk and incidence of tuberculosis, the Center for Disease Control recommends a TB skin test be used as a baseline approach to identifying individuals who may be carriers.

Does it matter what kind of TB test I have?

Yes. Either of the following TB tests is acceptable:

  • A skin test known as a PPD or Mantoux testing
  • A blood test known as QuantiFERON TB-Gold test

We can’t accept multiple puncture tests such as tine, HEAF, Monovac, etc.

How should the PPD TB test reaction be documented?

TB test reaction must be documented in millimeters and signed by a physician or nurse. The test must be read within 48 to 72 hours after it’s placed. We cannot accept a simple reading of positive or negative.

I have received BCG in the past. Do I still need a TB test?

BCG is an immunization given in some countries (not the U.S.) for TB. Individuals who have received a BCG will not have an accurate TB skin test; it may be falsely positive. Therefore, only the Quantiferon TB-Gold blood test is acceptable for individuals who have received the BCG vaccine.

Can I have a chest X-ray instead of a Mantoux TB test?

You can only substitute a chest X-ray if a previous Mantoux TB test was positive with an indurated reaction of 10mm or greater. Otherwise, you must get a Mantoux TB skin test or Quantiferon blood test.

I am not able to get a Mantoux TB test in my country. What should I do?

Please call PLNU Wellness Center for advice at (619) 849-2574 or email for assistance.

How many shots are there for the hepatitis B immunization?

The hepatitis B vaccine involves a series of three injections. The first two injections must be administered at least 28 to 60 days apart. The third injection must be administered at least six months after the first injection.