Point Loma Nazarene University is known for being forward-thinking. At PLNU, academics, faith, and community are all vital. Students benefit from this balanced approach to education and leave PLNU prepared to think, act, and contribute to the world.
In addition to more than 60 undergraduate areas of study, PLNU offers graduate program regional centers throughout Southern California. PLNU serves more than 3,500 students.
Did you know?
- PLNU’s medical school acceptance rate was greater than 90 percent between 2001 to 2011.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance named PLNU one of the top 100 best values among private institutions. PLNU was the No. 9 institution overall in the state and No. 96 in the nation.
- In the 2008 Open Doors report, PLNU’s study abroad program ranked 15th in the nation (among master’s degree-granting institutions) for percentage of undergraduates participating – about 30 percent of graduating seniors have studied abroad.
- PLNU is nationally recognized for its leadership in the area of sustainability – winning San Diego Environmental Services Recycler of the Year Award four out of the last six years and being named one of America's 100 greenest schools by the Sierra Club in both 2010 and 2011.
- Through PLNU's LoveWorks Short-term Mission Program, more than 2,000 students, faculty, staff, and alumni have served people in need in approximately 60 world areas.
- PLNU’s Center for International Development researches sustainable business practices and solutions to global poverty.
- Since 2005, 22 student films/TV programs have won awards or appeared at film festivals.
- PLNU’s Speech and Debate Team has been national champion in the National Parliamentary Debate Associations’ yearlong sweepstakes competition four out of the last seven years, competing against such schools as UC Berkeley and UCLA.
- Motto: VENIA, VERITAS, SANCTITAS (Grace, Truth, Holiness)
- Chapter: Isaiah 62
- Founder: Phineas Bresee
- Colors: Green and Gold
Week in Pictures
There's always something happening - catch a glimpse of PLNU in Week in Pictures.
Founded in 1902, PLNU has a rich heritage. Learn more about how it all began.
Want the numbers? Our Institutional Research web page has additional data about PLNU.