- Program Units
- Average Completion Time
- Just over 2 years
- Cost Per Unit
- Program Delivery Format
- Summer: 2 intensive 3-week classroom courses; fall and spring: online courses and monthly classroom meetings
- Point Loma Campus
Whether you want to teach or improve your teaching at the middle school, high school, or community college level, PLNU's master's in biology is the degree you need, and it's been designed with you in mind. Like the hybrid vigor seen in organisms that inherit successful but different traits from both parents, the PLNU master's program in general biology is an unusual hybrid unlike any other graduate program in California. As biology faculty on a Christian campus, your professors will also help you understand how to address teaching-related issues at the intersection of faith and science.
Admissions Requirements for Graduate Biology Program:
Please complete and submit all general graduate application materials. These materials can be found on the Application Process page, where you will also find the address to which you should send these materials.
Application Checklist and Program Eligibility:
- Letters of Recommendation - Through the online application, you will submit names and e-mail addresses of your recommenders and they will be sent a link to complete an electronic recommendation. If you decide to apply by downloading our paper application, please download and print the Graduate Biology Letter of Recommendation Form and have them send the completed recommendation directly to address found on the Application Process page.
- One letter should be from your current principal, assistant principal, or department head
- One letter should be from a former college/university professor
- Personal Essays - Please complete essays (200-300 words each) on the following topics and send directly to the address found on the Application Process page.
- Describe your reason(s) for enrolling in the graduate program in general biology and indicate your personal goals for the next five years.
- Explain why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in a Christian setting and how this relates to your classroom teaching.
- Testing - Take the Major Field Test in biology on PLNU's campus - contact the program director Dianne Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your test. The exam cost is $25.00. To view content areas on the test, go to ETS. A score on the GRE subject test in biology less than seven years old may be substituted.
- Interview - Contact the program director Dianne Anderson email@example.com to schedule a faculty interview after all application materials have been submitted.
Department of Biology
The Department of Biology at PLNU has a long history of meaningful and effective research and learning.