Valuable Financial Information
Tuition refunds are computed during the fall and spring semesters at the following percentages upon filing a properly executed change of schedule or withdrawal with the Records Office.
- First Two Weeks of Semester 100%
- Third Week 75%
- Fourth Week 50%
- Fifth through Eighth Weeks 25%
Students are not entitled to any tuition refund after the eighth week of a regular semester. Specific refund dates are published online and in the Lomalink (the electronic university newsletter). According to federal regulations, if you are receiving federal financial aid and withdraw at any time prior to completion of 60 percent of the semester, a portion of your federal aid may be refunded to the lender or the Department of Education. For additional information, contact Student Financial Services.
As a Point Loma student or family member, you may want to consider Tuition Refund Insurance. This elective coverage provides 100% refund of tuition and fees, up to the policy limits, when a student is unable to complete classes for the semester due to a covered medical reason. More information will be sent out in early July with your fall bill.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of your education records. FERPA applies to all schools that offer federal financial aid. It also gives your parents certain rights with respect to your education records. These rights transfer to students when they reach the age of 18 or attend a postsecondary (post-high school) institution.
Information releases in the student portal allow you to determine with whom the university may share personal information, such as grades, health information, and financial statements. Students must log on to their student portal account to establish any release permissions.
Student Financial Services is only able to discuss a student's account with individuals who have been granted permission by the student.
Other Related Information
- When a student account has a credit balance because of an overpayment or the posting of a student or parent loan, a refund check can be requested from Student Financial Services. Refunds require three business days to process. Generally, refund checks are issued to the student unless otherwise directed.
- Student Financial Services and Cashier Services are located on the first floor of Draper Hall. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Students may cash personal checks at the cashier’s window. The limit is $50 per check. Students must present a current student I.D. when cashing checks. Only personal checks are accepted; no second-party checks will be cashed. Any returned checks will incur a $25 fee.
- In addition, an automatic teller machine (ATM) is located on the first floor of Nicholson Commons. The ATM is a service of America’s Christian Credit Union (ACCU). ACCU members may make deposits to and withdrawals from their ACCU accounts at no charge. Non-members are charged a fee of up to$2.00 per withdrawal. If you have questions, call ACCU at 1.800.644.7728, or their 24-hour service line at 1.800.343.6328. An ACCU representative will be on campus during NSO.