In the first full service speech and debate tournament of the year for the PLNU Forensics team, Point Loma won First Place in the large school four year division of the Concordia Irvine Eagle Invitational this past weekend, October 4th and 5th. The team was fortunate enough to win over 40% of all the sweepstakes points awarded in the entire tournament attended by 21 colleges and universities, mostly from California but with representation from as far away as New York (CUNY).
In debate the Senior teams of Angela Compton and Kaitlyn Burford, and Daniel Nadal and Chris Gutierrez both advanced to the Semi Final round, winning Third Place in the division. In Junior Division, MacLean Andrews and Ciera Wilson also advance to the Semi Final Round winning Third Place. In the Novice Division, Josh Irvine and Margaret Urfer won bronze medals for advancing to the first elimination round and Jayme Oswald and Nathan Maddix won the Gold by winning their second elimination round. Point Loma debaters also earned a number of top speaker trophies:
- David Kruckenberg – 2nd Place
- Daniel Nadal – 3rd Place
- Angela Compton – 5th Place
- Chris Gutierrez – 8th Place
- John Morris – 4th Place
- Ciera Wilson – 6th Place
- Barbara Gausewitz – 1st Place
- Raegan Pratt – 10th
In the Open Division of Lincoln Douglass Debate, Point Loma had debaters in three of the four quarter final rounds. John Morris lost in the Quarter Final round. Daniel Nadal and Ciera Wilson both won their Quarter Final rounds and advanced to the Semi Final bracket, where they both prevailed over their opponents closing out the final round, each tying for first place.
Daniel Nadal was the top Lincoln Douglass debate speaker, Ciera Wilson the Third place speaker and MacLean Andrews the Fifth place speaker.
In Individual Events, new transfer student Danielle Lawson won the Fifth Overall Speaker in Individual Events for the entire tournament by doing well in multiple events. This is our equivalent of a pentathelete award.
- Brittany Taylor – First Place Rhetorical Criticism (w/o final round) & First Place in RC at the Biola Tournament (no final round)
- Kimberly Jensen - First Place Novice Programmed Interp (w/o final round), Second Place Informative (w/o finals) & Fourth Place in POI at the Biola Tournament (no final round)
- Angela Compton – First Place Open Extemporaneous Speaking
- David Kruckenberg - Second Place Open After Dinner Speaking
- Brandon Walsh – First Place Open Persuasion (w/o final round)
- Chris Gutierrez and Danielle Lawson – First Place Open Duo (w/o final round)
- Danielle Lawson - Second Place Open Impromptu Speaking
- Jayme Oswald - Second Place Novice Impromptu
- Raegan Pratt – Third Place Open Persuasion (w/o final round)
- Joel Ressel – Fifth Place Informative Speaking
- Nathan Maddix – Finalist Novice Extemporaneous Speaking