Concordia - one day parliamentary debate tournament
On Saturday, January 23, 2010 the PLNU Debate team participated in a one day parliamentary debate tournament cosponsored by Concordia University at Irvine, Irvine Valley College, and Point Loma Nazarene University on Concordia’s campus in Irvine. 15 colleges and universities participated from such programs as UCLA, UCSD, Vanguard, Azusa Pacific University and Pacific Lutheran University, and various other top colleges and universities. Point Loma advanced 5 teams of the 8 total teams competing in Quarter Finals in the Senior Division, and one team in Novice.
Congratulations to senior division PLNU debaters Katie Lucas and Daniel Nadal, who after being named one of the two Gold Teams, went on to beat UCLA’s outstanding Senior team to win First Place for the tournament. Congratulations also go to Ashley Nuckels, Grant Beeson, and Daniel Nadal respectively for being named the top three speakers in the Senior Division.
The following six PLNU teams earned the following accolades:
- Daniel Nadal and Katie Lucas – Gold, First Place in Senior Division
- Barbara Gausewitz and Ciera Wilson - Silver, Senior Division
- Grant Beeson and John Morris – Bronze, Senior Division
- MacLean Andrews and Caitlyn Burford – Bronze, Senior Division
- Danielle Lawson and Ashley Nuckels - Bronze, Senior Division
- Christopher Moriarity and Kassie Sandstrom – Bronze, Novice Division
In the Senior Division Point Loma students won 7 of the top 8 speaker awards:
- Ashley Nuckels - First Place Speaker
- Grant Beeson – Second Place Speaker
- Daniel Nadal – Third Place Speaker
- Danielle Lawson – Fifth Place Speaker
- Caitlyn Burford – Sixth Place Speaker
- Barbara Gausewitz – Seventh Place Speaker
- John Morris – Eighth Place Speaker
This was a unique tournament that was offered free of charge to help the many programs facing budgetary constraints. None of the normal fees were assessed or the normal amenities provided, like trophies, food, hired judges, etc.
Students and coaches personally took on various expenses such as paying for some of their own meals and/or gas for their own cars. Despite absorbing some of these additional expenses many students and coaches personally contributed over a thousand dollars as a group to a central fund collected by the tournament to help the Haitian relief efforts. It was nice to see this community not just debating about world problems, but also reaching out to help be a part of the solution.
Our next big tournaments will be the Point Loma Round Robin Tournament of Excellence on Friday, February 5th, and the PLNU Sunset Cliffs Classic, on Saturday and Sunday, February 6th & 7th, both of which are hosted on our campus. Your prayer support for these tournaments will be greatly appreciated. Should anyone be interested in helping to judge some of these rounds, do please let me know.