NPDA Nationals Last Tournament of the 09-10 Year
PLNU once again finished the year as one of the top five programs in the nation in Parliamentary Debate, despite the larger size of most other institutions, competing against not only other liberal arts programs and Christian colleges, but against some of the largest and most respected research universities in the nation, like UCLA, UCSD and Cal Berkeley.
At the National Parliamentary Debate Association national championships held in Lubbock, Texas last week, two of our teams advanced to the elimination bracket from a very tough field of nearly two hundred teams. Texas Tech ended up winning the final round on a split decision against Pepperdine University on Texas Tech’s campus.
- Katie Lucas and Daniel Nadal advanced to the third elimination round before being eliminated.
- Caitlyn Burford and MacLean Andrews advanced to the second elimination round before being eliminated.
- Three of our other teams missed advancing to the elimination bracket by just one loss after eight preliminary rounds.
- Katie Lucas took 14th place speaker honors in the nation. Unlike many of the other top speakers, Katie began her debate career as a freshmen with no previous experience.
- PLNU’s teams at the National Tournament won 14th place in school sweepstakes as well.
As always we thank the strong support of the university in allowing us to compete in this activity and the faculty and staff for their unwavering support of the team, but we are especially appreciative of our tremendous alumni. Many serve tirelessly as assistant coaches or tournament judges, and many others answered our last minute plea for financial assistance to allow us to take the teams we were able to take to the tournament this year.