Pacific meets the Delta - Delta/Pacific
The PLNU speech and debate team enjoyed some big wins up in Stockton this past weekend at a large National Circuit speech and debate tournament, actually tournaments plural. We only took 14 of our team members but still managed to win the large University of the Pacific invitational, and came in Second Place at the Delta College with only six team members. We have never won this sweepstakes championship before at the UoP tournament, nor have we ever even entered the Delta College Individual Events tournament.
I should mention that by winning impromptu Daniel Robert Spencer also won a fairly unique honor. Since the tournament used as impromptu topics the pithy quotations found on the bottle caps of Jones Soda products, the host school is placing a picture of Daniel receiving his award as the special label for a case of Jones Soda that they will be sending to him.
It was a long drive up on Thursday and a long drive back on Monday (about the same distance, come to think of it), so apologies if some of these students are lagging a bit in classes today. Or maybe I am just projecting. Thanks for your continued support of this program. Special thanks to the coaches and judges who invest their time in these students, and alumni for their encouragement, prayer and financial support. Apologies to alumni in the area we had hoped to see. The competition days ran from 12-14 hours each.
Paul Winters Invitational at University of the Pacific November 2-4, 2012 -The specific honors are mentioned below.
First Place Overall Sweepstakes Champions for four year schools division at the UOP Speech and Debate Tournament
Second Place Swing sweeps stakes for combined tournaments (with Delta Individual Events tournament) four year division.
UOP Parliamentary Debate:
• Michelle Diaz and Sydney Awakuni double octofinalists open Parli debate
• Daniel Robert Spencer and Claire Schalin semifinalist junior Parli debate
• Brandon West and Joshua Gilbert quarterfinalists junior Parli debate
• Speaker Awards in Parliamentary Debate:
• Josh Gilbert eleventh speaker junior division
• Claire Schalin ninth speaker junior division
• Brandon West seventh speaker junior division
• Daniel Spencer fifth speaker junior division
UOP Lincoln Douglas Debate:
• Kayla Cook octofinalist open division
UOP Individual Events:
• Claire Schalin third place novice Extemp
• Sydney Awakuni semifinalist open Extemp
• Chris Danks semifinalist open Extemp
• Emily Schaffer semifinalist open Extemp
• Joshua Gilbert first place novice informative
• Brandon West first place novice ADS (top novice w/o final round)
• Daniel Robert Spencer finalist novice poetry
• Joshua Gilbert first place novice impromptu
• Brandon West semifinalist novice impromptu
• James Wilson semifinalist open impromptu
• Chris Danks second place open impromptu
• Daniel Robert Spencer first place open impromptu
• Claire Schalin third place novice persuasive
Delta College Individual Events Championship – Friday, November 2, 2012
PLNU won Second Place Sweepstakes for four year division.
• Claire Schalin: Novice Extemporaneous finalist (4th);
• Claire Schalin: Novice Persuasion Second Place
• Josh Gilbert: Novice Informative finalist (5th);
• Josh Gilbert: Novice Impromptu finalist
• Brandon West: Novice After Dinner Speaking Third Place in Open--event was collapsed
• Sam Mercaldo: Open Division Prose finalist (7th);
• Sam Mercaldo: Open Division Impromptu finalist (6th)
• Daniel Robert Spencer: Novice Poetry Second Place;
• Daniel Robert Spencer: Novice Impromptu First Place