PSCFA Fall Champs CSU Long Beach
This year’s fairly young PLNU Speech and Debate team enjoyed an unexpected win this past weekend by taking First Place in the Four Year University division of the PSCFA Fall Championship for speech and debate, and winning Second Place in Novice Sweepstakes. There were over 50 colleges and universities competing in one of the largest tournaments in the nation. The field included programs like UCLA, SDSU, CSU Long Beach, Northern Arizona University and University of Nevada, Reno, not to mention many very strong community colleges and other strong Christian Colleges.
Here are the results in a nutshell of the top PLNU performances. Please forgive any of our students that were a bit haggard this morning in classes. After returning to campus after 10 p.m. last night following three extremely long days of competition and with a number of them battling illnesses, many of them might not quite be a peak levels of performance just yet. But trust me, they bounce back quickly.
- Caitlyn Burford and Angela Compton won Gold Medals in Senior Parliamentary Debate.
- Speaker Awards were presented to Danielle Lawson for Third Place Speaker, and Angela Compton for Seventh Place Speaker.
- Daniel Nadal won a Gold Medal for Lincoln Douglass Debate (single person format against another single person, versus the team format)
- Barbara Gausewitz and Ciera Wilson won Gold Medals in Jr. Parliamentary Debate
- Jayme Oswald and Ben Powers won Silver Medals in Jr. Parliamentary Debate
- The teams of MacLean Stevens and Joel Ressel; Nathanial Maddix and Ally Beardsley; and Josh Irvine and Margaret Urfer won Bronze medals in Novice Parliamentary Debate.
- Mac Stevens won 6th Place Speaker in the division with about a hundred competitors.
- Mac Stevens also won a Gold Medal in Lincoln Douglass debate novice division.
Individual Events Results:
- Ally Beardsley won First Place Novice After Dinner Speaking
- Josh Irvine won Second Place Novice Extemporaneous Speaking
- Nathanial Maddix was a Finalist in Novice Extemporaneous Speaking
- Ben Powers was a Finalist in Novice Extemporaneous Speaking
- MacLean Stevens was a Finalist in Novice Extemporaneous Speaking
- Caitlyn Burford won Fifth Place in Senior Extemporaneous Speaking
- John Morris was a Finalist in Junior Impromptu Speaking
- Barbara Gausewitz was also a Finalist in Junior Impromptu
- Daniel Nadal won Fifth Place in Senior Impromptu Speaking
- Christopher Gutierrez won fourth place in Senior Persuasion
- Christopher Gutierrez and Danielle Lawson won Fourth place in Senior Duo Interpretataion
- Danielle Lawson won Fourth Place in Senior Informative
- Joel Ressel was a Finalist in Novice Informative
- Kim Jensen was a Finalist in Junior Informative
- Raegen Pratt was a Finalist in Novice Prose.