Round Robin Sunset Cliffs Classic Speech & Debate Tournament
For a change this year, since the numbers were down a bit, we felt like we could enter some of our teams in this very challenging field of competition. Here are a few of the exciting results from the Point Loma debate teams.
- Joel Day and Ben Kautzer pulled double duty, excelling at both tournaments. They were the second team in their pool on Friday, loosing only once. For the Saturday and Sunday event (the Sunset Cliffs Classic) they advanced to the elimination round, winning both their double octa final and octa final rounds before dropping in quarter finals of Open level parliamentary debate.
- Tim Kamermayer and Griffith Vertican were the top seed in Open debate at the Sunset Cliffs after the fifth round of debate out of over a hundred of the nations top teams. Unfortunately they lost in the double octa final round to a very tough team.
- The team of Alysa Pfeiffer and Jaimee Wanta advanced to the double octa final round of Junior Debate where they lost.
- Cody Ellis and Katie Lucas advanced all the way to the Semi Final round before finally loosing, and Katie won a top speaker gavel.
- Caitlyn Burford and Chris Gutierrez ended up winning all of their debates, including the final round. In fact they won each and every ballot in all of their debate rounds along their way to winning the Junior Division.
Thanks again for everyone's help. Special thanks to the PLNU speech and debate team and coaching staff and alumni volunteers for putting in three long days of at least 14-15 hours work per day. Please feel free to let me know how we can continue to improve the service to our guests in future years while minimizing any deleterious impact on your area.