San Diego Mesa College Olympics Speech & Debate Tournament
The Point Loma Nazarene University Speech and Debate team won First Place Sweepstakes honors at the inaugural San Diego Mesa College Olympics Speech and Debate Tournament this past weekend (October 7-8, 2006). This smaller regional tournament attracted about a dozen colleges and universities from San Diego (including Palomar, Grossmont, SDSU, UCSD and San Diego Christian College) and Orange County, Los Angeles and Long Beach. In addition to PLNU gaining top team honors, Pt Loma student Griffith Vertican was named as the top tournament participant in the Senior Division and awarded the “Olympian” Award. He earned this honor in part through winning the four Gold Medals in Senior Debate for top speaker, Senior Impromptu, Senior Extemporaneous Speaking and with his partner Tim Kamermayer, for winning the Gold Medal as the top Senior Debate team.
Point Loma debaters met with much success across the board. Pt Loma’s open division teams of Tim Kamermayer and Griffith Vertican and Joel Day and Ben Kautzer each won their respective semi final rounds, thus closing out the final round and tying for first. The Gold Medals went to Tim and Griffith, and the silver medals to Joel and Ben based on preliminary round records. In the Novice Division, three of the four teams advancing to the semi final round were from Point Loma. Lindsay Diederichs and Katie Lucas earned the Gold Medals by winning the final round, and the two PLNU teams of Cody Ellis and Todd Heckman, and Sarah Motte and Kyle Kirschner both dropped in Semi Finals winning Bronze Medals. In the Rookie Division, Jennifer Bullock and Camille Cullom won the Bronze Award for Third Place team.
The remaining awards won in both individual events and for debate speaker awards are listed below, as well as those that earned legs to the national championship in the Spring. Although this was a smaller tournament very early in the year it is nice to see the students’ hard work yielding early returns. Special thanks to Professors Lazaro and Livingston and to many of our alumni for helping to coach and judge these students.
- Alison Sansom – Finalist Open Prose, Top Novice Prose
- Angela Compton – Novice Duo – top novice with Ben Kautzer.
- Ben Kautzer – 3rd Place Novice Speaker, 3rd Open Extemp – Leg; Open Duo with Day – 2nd Place, and top Novice Duo with Compton
- Caitlyn Burford – 4th Place Open Prose, Leg to Nationals, Novice Extemp – 1st Place.
- Camille Cullom – 2nd Place Rookie Debate Speaker - Tie
- Cody Ellis – 3rd Place Novice Speaker
- Griffith Vertican – 1st Place Senior Speaker Debate, Open Extemp 1st place – leg, Open Impromptu 1st Place – leg.
- Ian Sharples – Novice Extemp Finalist
- Jennifer Bullock – 2nd Place Rookie Debate - Tie
- Joel Day – 7th Place Novice Speaker debate, Finalist Open Extemp
- Jordan Cherry – Open Impromptu 4th Place – leg, Open Rhetorical Criticism 1st Place and top novice.
- Katie Lucas – 7th Place Novice Speaker Debate
- Katie Michael – 10th place Novice Speaker Debate,
- Kyle Kirschner – 6th Place Novice Speaker Debate,
- Lindsay Diederichs – First Place Novice Speaker Debate, Novice Impromptu Finalist.
- Sarah Motte – 4th Place Novice Speaker debate
- Tim Kamermayer – 5th Place Open Speaker Debate, Open Extemp 2nd Place - leg, Open Impromptu 3rd Place – leg.
- Todd Heckman – 5th Place Novice Speaker debate