Department of Biology
Department of Chemistry
Do you love the orderliness of the periodic table? Are you fascinated by the intricacies of the human body? If you love biology and chemistry, consider focusing your academic career on the intersection between the two.
Biology-chemistry (also called biochemistry) combines the study of matter (chemistry) with the study of life (biology). The field includes the study of how chemical structures, reactions, and interactions affect living things.
Our interdepartmental B.S. major in biology-chemistry has been designed for students passionate about biology and chemistry. A large segment of contemporary scientific investigation lies at the intersection of these two fields. Biology-chemistry is an ideal area of study for students who want to pursue professions in medicine, dentistry, and veterinary work. You'll also be prepared for work or research in pharmacology, biotechnology, biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, environmental regulation, and more!
- Over the last 25 years, approximately 80 percent of PLNU’s applicants have gained acceptance to medical schools (roughly twice the national average), and the acceptance rate for biology and chemistry students applying to graduate (M.A., M.S., and Ph.D.) and dental school programs is more than 95 percent.
- Focus your study to prepare for graduate work or a career in biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, pharmacology, physiology, medicine, or dentistry.
- Research with your professors for the summer using sophisticated instrumentation and computational resources. In the past, these projects have led to scholarly papers published in national international scientific journals.
- Attend and present research at scientific conferences.
- Medical school
- Dental school
- Graduate school
- Careers in biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, pharmacology, etc.