Department of History and Political Science
We live in a global society. As technology and business have connected far-reaching parts of the world, an understanding of the people and cultures of the world has never been more important. If you want to take on this challenge, consider studying history!
The Department of History and Political Science offers a major and a minor in history, a social science major perfect for those who want to teach history and social science at high schools, an international studies major, and a political science major.
PLNU’s history major consists of courses that involve both traditional and contemporary approaches to historical study. Teaching methods include lectures, discussions, seminars, internships, field trips, and travel throughout the world. One course is even taught on a boat while sailing along the California coast!
As a history major, you can present papers at academic conferences, join honor societies including Phi Alpha Theta, and take trips to historical and cultural sites in California and around the world. You can also join events hosted by our Institute of Politics and Public Service and the Margaret Stevenson Center for Women's Studies.
- Travel courses, which have taken students to various locations throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, and Africa
- Study abroad programs
- Innovative teaching methods including field trips and discussion-based seminars
- Institute of Politics and Public Service
- Margaret Stevenson Center for Women’s Studies
- Honors societies and senior honors project
- Pre-law society
- Museum curator
- Government Service