Department of Music
Do you have a passion for music? Do you have a desire to share your passion with others? If so, utilize your talents through teaching music to the younger generation.
PLNU offers several majors in the Department of Music, including music, composition, music education, and vocal, piano, and instrumental performance. The Department also offers a major in music with a concentration in music and ministry. The core curriculum for all music majors is the same and includes courses in music history, music theory, world music, and faith, life, and music.
Earning a B.A. in music education requires courses in orchestration, choral arrangement, brass, woodwind, string and percussion instruments, elementary and secondary school music methods, and more. Four semesters of recital attendance are also required. Additionally, students must earn a California Teaching Credential.
- Opportunity to perform vocal, piano, or instrumental recitals
- Ensembles: Chamber Orchestra, Concert Band, Concert Choir, Point Loma Singers, Choral Union, Chorale, Handbell Choir, Jazz Band, Vocal Jazz Ensemble, and small chamber ensembles
- Travel the world and the western U.S. as part of performing ensemble
- Point Loma String Project and the Point Loma Keyboard Institute, which help children and youth appreciate music
- Music teacher
- Praise and worship leader
- Graduate school
- Minister of music
- Music publishing
- Music editing