Loma Ocean View Escapes (LOVE for Pastors)
History of the Loma Ocean View Escapes Program (LOVE for Pastors Program)
In 1998 the Church Relations office at PLNU hosted its first Pastoral Care Symposium. At this symposium, the needs of pastors were discussed. Among the areas of greatest need were finances and family issues. It was amazing to discover that several of those leaving the ministry had never had a family vacation while pastoring.
Dr. Michael Pitts (former chaplain and vice president for spiritual development) told the group about apartments being provided by Northwest Nazarene University where pastors could stay for a week at no charge. It became apparent that PLNU could provide a similar program by offering weeklong reservations for pastors to stay in the Flex Housing apartments during June and July.
The idea was presented to Dr. Dana Walling , Dr. Gordon Golsan and the President's Cabinet. They graciously voted to make two-two bedroom furnished apartments available. Over the years additional apartments have been added, now totaling eight.
The enthusiasm of those who have participated has been more than we anticipated. We begin taking reservations March 1 of each year, and the schedule is usually filled within the week. Full-time ministers and families are allowed to stay in a LOVE apartment for up to a week. The apartments are available for reservation during June and July.
Each apartment comes with the following amenities:
- a master bedroom (with a queen bed)
- a second bedroom (two sets of bunk beds [four beds])
- linens & towels
- living room with TV and VCR/DVD with basic cable.
- dining room
- two full baths
- kitchen with refrigerator, microwave, toaster and range, coffee maker, dishes for up to eight and cooking utensils.
- ironing board & iron
- laundry facilities are available. Last year, guests who went to the beach found it helpful to bring their own extra towels.
- free rentals from the PLNU Recreation Room
- free meal passes for one meal in the cafeteria