PLNU offers a unique and forward-thinking approach to graduate biology education. Whether you're teaching or working in another profession and aspire to teach you can increase your scientific knowledge and improve your teaching skills. Not only that, but PLNU offers California's only master's degree in general biology designed for educators.
Choose the Program for You
- Master of Arts in Biology - Have the flexibility of more electives, including additional biology coursework, research internships, and summer workshops or seminar series. Customize your degree to fit your needs and interests. Students looking to move up into higher levels of biology education are a great fit for an M.A. in biology.
- Master of Science in Biology - Research in biology education will play a large role in your studies. This choice requires original research and a thesis on some aspect of teaching and learning in biology. Independent students and good writers are a great fit for an M.S. in biology.
Find a Meaningful Internship
Intern with an organization that can help you reach your career goals. We can help by connecting you with community colleges, museums, research institutes, biotechnical companies, and more.
Keep Your Job
Don’t give up your job to earn your degree – ours is one designed with busy professionals in mind.
- During the school year, take online courses with monthly face-to-face meetings on PLNU’s ocean-side campus, the perfect place for biology students to appreciate the study of life.
- During the summer, take intensive three-week biology courses (biology infused with research-based pedagogy) on our Point Loma campus. Reasonably priced on-campus housing is available during the summer.
- You can also take summer courses offered as professional development, so there's no need to enroll in a program.
- Apply by May 27 for the Summer 2013 semester. Classes begin June 24. Summer is an ideal time to start the program!
Have More Questions?
Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions firstname.lastname@example.org (866) 692-GRAD (4723)
Dr. Dianne Anderson
Products of our Research
Perspectives on Science
Perspectives on Science is a monthly seminar series for science teachers. The seminar typically focuses on recent developments in the guest scientist’s area of expertise, with particular emphasis on those aspects that are of greatest interest and significance to science teachers.