Clara Colt Hall
Clara Colt Hall, which features panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean, is named for Mrs. Clara Elizabeth Colt of San Marcos, California. As the department's primary benefactor, Mrs. Colt donated:
- $1 million to help fund the construction of the History and Political Science building
- $1 million to support the academic programs of the department
- $211,000 endowment for scholarships for history and political science majors
For this support the department faculty and students will be eternally grateful.
Clara Colt was born in 1906 in Kansas City, Mo., the fourth of nine children. She graduated from Central High School in Kansas City, then worked for Millinery Manufacturing Company and the John Taylor Department Stores. In 1950, she married Leonard Colt. The couple lived in Chicago where Leonard owned and operated the Laurel Rug Company. In 1966, they moved to San Marcos, Calif. Mrs. Colt was actively involved in numerous community organizations and at her church. Mrs. Colt passed away on July 9, 2005.
The two-story Clara Colt Hall at PLNU houses the Department of History and Political Science, two classrooms, a large meeting room called "The Forum," offices for eight faculty members, a departmental office, an Institute of Public Service, a Women's Studies Center, a pre-law room, a student research room, and a student lounge. The building is furnished with the latest in technological resources.