Department of Mathematical, Information & Computer Sciences
The Mathematical, Information, and Computer Sciences (MICS) Department is committed to maintaining a curriculum that provides students with the tools to be productive, the passion to continue learning, and Christian perspectives to provide a basis for making sound value judgments. Our programs feature a high level of faculty and student interaction and a great deal of collaboration between students.
Six Classes That Will Make Any College Graduate Employable
No matter what you are majoring in, Forbes Magazine has some advice for you: take Statistics (MTH203), Calculus I (MTH144 or MTH164) and Computer Programming (CSC143). Click here to read more.
Become an Actuary
Actuaries help organizations plan for the future by managing future risk using mathematics, statistics and economics.
Click her for Student Research
- Computer Science: Technical Applications - problem solving using computers. Students who choose the Technical Applications emphasis will gain the broader mathematics background often required by graduate programs or the defense and security industries.
- Computer Science: Software Engineering - the process of engineering software solutions. Students who choose the Software Engineering emphasis will receive more extensive exposure to the QA and project management competencies so often requested by software engineering companies.
- Information Systems - the study of the relationships between information, organizations, and human beings.
- Mathematics - the search for patterns in things that do not appear to be similar. Math gives results that are both beautiful and incredibly applicable.
- Minor in Computational Science- prepares Computer Science, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics majors to work in the field.
Student Research, Service Learning, and Internships
All MICS students participate in integrative learning experiences: Student Research, Service Learning, or Internships. These experiences prepare students for graduate school and provide connections with professionals in the field.
PLNU is committed to continuous and transparent alignment of our curriculum with the highest national standards. Learn about assessment.