We provide free, confidential primary care health services to Point Loma Nazarene University undergraduate students. Wellness Center health services include:
- Free self-care shelf medications
- Assessment and treatment of injuries and illnesses
- TB testing
- Travel and prescription medications
- Consultation on health issues
- Assistance with student health insurance processes
There are charges for medications, injections, strep and other tests, labs, and physicals. Fees are billed to the student's account and the student receives a copy of the charges at the time of visit. Please note we are unable to facilitate private insurance billing for health services in the Wellness Center.
Physicals are offered by appointment only and in very limited availability for undergraduate students at PLNU. Physicals are performed for a fee, which may be increased due to the amount of time and the scope of the physical. Because of the specific nature of the physical and requirements for completion of paperwork, the Nurse Practitioner-on-duty must review your paperwork in advance. Please call the Wellness Center or stop by the office for assistance with the the process. Approved physicals will require an appointment at least two weeks in advance of when your paperwork is due.
Travel advice and medication
Students traveling abroad for mission work or pleasure may consult with the Nurse Practitioner regarding travel health needs. The Wellness Center, however, is not a travel clinic. Recommendations are based on the following sources: www.cdc.gov/travel and current medical literature. Some vaccinations are available in the Wellness Center and prescriptions can be provided for other recommended travel medications. Students are encouraged to review CDC (Center for Disease Control) website information for their specific destination(s) before their appointment. There is a consultation fee for this service.
Health Service Hours:
- The Wellness Center is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm (closed for university holidays and from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm daily).
- Walk-Ins are available daily during normal hours of operation and are offered on a first come, first served basis. Appointments may be made for the afternoon hours.
- Students can either call the Wellness Center (619-849-2574) to schedule an appointment or stop by the office (Nicholson Commons 1st Floor) for assistance. Please contact PLNU Public Safety at (619) 849-2525 if you are experiencing a medical or psychological emergency after hours.