We provide free, confidential health services to Point Loma Nazarene University students. Wellness Center health services include
- Free self-care shelf medications
- Assessment and treatment of injuries and illnesses
- TB testing
- Travel and prescription medications
- Consultation on health issues
- Assistance with student health insurance processes
There are charges for medications, injections, strep and other tests, labs, and physicals. Fees are billed to the student's account at the time of visit. Please note, we are unable to facilitate private insurance billing for health services in the Wellness Center.
Physicals are offered as a courtesy and are limited to nursing school entry physicals, students traveling abroad, or participating in missions trips and university associated activities. There is a fee that is dependent on the amount of time, paperwork, lab and/or complexity of required information. The form must clearly indicate that a Nurse Practitioner or Mid-Level provider is qualified to complete the form. The Nurse Practitioner on duty may refuse to do a physical if there are discrepancies in the requirements. Please call the Wellness Center to schedule an appointment at least two weeks in advance of when your paperwork is due.
Travel advice and medication
Students traveling abroad for mission work or pleasure may consult with the Nurse Practitioner regarding travel health needs. The Wellness Center, however, is not a travel clinic. Recommendations are based on the following sources: www.cdc.gov/travel and current medical literature. Some vaccinations are available in the Wellness Center and prescriptions can be provided for other recommended travel medications. Students are encouraged to review CDC (Center for Disease Control) website information for their specific destination(s) before their appointment. There is a $10 consultation fee for this service.
Health Service Hours:
- Our office is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm (closed for university holidays and from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm daily).
- Walk-Ins are available daily from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and are offered on a first come, first served basis. Appointments may be made for the afternoon hours.
- Students can either call the Wellness Center (619-849-2574) to schedule an appointment or stop by the office (Nicholson Commons 1st Floor) for assistance.