Community Classroom: A Semester in City Heights
Community Classroom is a semester long, cross-cultural immersion program with flexible options. In the Full Immersion program students will live together in City Heights, San Diego while taking courses taught by PLNU Faculty within the community. Students may also commute taking one, two, or multiple courses. This is a cross-disciplinary program committed to work in partnership with the many non-profits in City Heights, along with several residents representing various ethnicities who will journey with us throughout the semester as our cultural guides. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in an internship, practicum, or clinical within their major. All courses will have contextual elements focused on issues facing the city.
Courses Offered for SPRING 2017
- CHU395 (Section 4) The Christian Tradition (Wed 6:30 - 9:15 pm) - Mark Wright, Ph.D.
- CMI350 (Section 1) Church as a Witness (Thurs 3:00 - 5:30 pm) - Ron Benefiel, Ph.D.
- PHL211 (Section 2) Ethics (Tue 2:30 - 5:30 pm) - Mark Wright, Ph.D.
- SOC360 (Section 2) Race and Ethnicity (Mon 3:00 - 5:45 pm) - Kevin Modesto, Ph.D.
- SPA102 (Section 11) Elementary Spanish II (Mon & Thurs 3:15 - 5:05 pm) - Jacque Mitchell, M.A.
- THE306 (Section 2) Life of Holiness (Wed 6:00 - 8:30 pm) - Rebecca Laird, Ph.D.
A few Quick Facts:
- Semester long cross-cultural immersion program
- Flexible Options:
- Full Immersion: Live in City Heights
- Commute: Take one, two or multiple courses
- Cross-cultural events are woven into the program throughout the semester
- Internships, clinicals, and practicum's with local organizations
- Integration of academics, faith, and experience
- Cross-disciplinary program for all majors
- All courses will engage the community through applied learning
- Intentional discussions will be facilitated about the semester's journey
- All financial aid and scholarships apply
Certificate in Intercultural Engagement:
The Certificate in Intercultural Engagement at Community Classroom is designed for students who want part of their academic experience to include a focused engagement in a multicultural setting that will nurture their Christian formation academically and vocationally.
Students must complete:
1. Six (6) units from the following Community Classroom courses when offered in City Heights. A minimum of three (3) units must be unique to the certificate (i.e. cannot count as a major or general education course):
- CHU395 - The Christian Tradition (3)
- CMI155 - Christian Formation & Ministry (3)
- PHL211 - Ethics (3)
- SOC306 - Race & Ethnicity (3)
- SPA101 - Elementary Spanish I (4)
- SPA102 - Elementary Spanish II (4)
- THE306 - The Life of Holiness (3)
2. Twenty (20) hours of co-curricular service learning are built into each Community Classroom course. A total of 40 hours are required for the certificate.
Email CommunityClassroom@pointloma.edu with questions.
FAQ's for Full Immersion Students
Students will register for classes through their advisor selecting the courses taught by the faculty participating in this program. There is also a short application online to gather basic information from program candidates.
This program is the same as if you are attending here on campus. All costs of the program will be covered through tuition and room and board, including cross-cultural events, housing, food, public transportation, field trips, etc.
Students will live in community in houses rented by PLNU. The basic furnishings like beds, etc. will be provided along with wireless internet and cable.
Yes! This program will not affect your financial aid.
You can take one, two or multiple courses.
This will depend on your major and how it will impact your course schedule. Consult with your advisor to see if this program will work for you.
For more information, contact Dana Hojsack at (619) 849-2678 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org