Expenses for LoveWorks ministry travel may be covered in any of three ways:
1) donations to the program from family and friends
2) payment from the participant or immediate family member
3) any general student financial aid (if available, loans and grants), applied after a remaining balance has been rolled onto the participant’s student account
LoveWorks recognizes that participation requires courage, faith, and wisdom.
Participants are always encouraged to prayerfully seek God in the process and to seek wisdom and encouragement from their family and other elders. Most of us cannot afford to go ‘on our own’ and it is beautiful and healthy to be sent into mission by a supportive community of friends and family – in many cases our supporters are people who have known and raised us. For many, it is a joy to see a college student who is actively choosing Christian service over the typical college story of self-absorption and destructive behavior.
TIMELINE FOR SUPPORT RAISING AND PAYMENTS
There is no formal schedule of deposits or payments. Participants are free to make cash payments and turn in donations to the Office of Spiritual Development at any time during the spring semester and the summer until August 1. On August 1 all remaining balances will be rolled to Student Financial Services where they will be placed on student accounts.
Have a plan (and a backup plan).
It is vital that students have a backup plan for covering financial shortfalls. A remaining balance on a student account will prevent registration for classes. We never want to see students in danger of dropping out of school because of an unpaid LoveWorks balance. Usually when we do see this situation arise it is largely because the student did not plan and did not seek help.
GRADUATING SENIORS & NON-RETURNING STUDENTS
Graduating seniors and non-returning students will be contacted by LoveWorks after the trip to arrange for payment. When necessary, a regular payment plan may be arranged. While we can usually be gracious, participants must follow through and pay off their debt to the program. They must also ensure that we have their most recent contact information.
LoveWorks scholarships are based on financial need as well as full and positive participation in support raising, training, and during the trip. Students are encouraged to show ways that they have made personal sacrifice and effort to contribute to pay for their trip. After the trip, LoveWorks will provide all students with scholarship criteria and information on the application process.
THE PROGRAM FEE
The program fee includes:
1) roundtrip ground transportation from PLNU to the airport, as needed
2) roundtrip air travel to the host country
3) all ground, air, or maritime transportation during the trip, as arranged by host
4) room and board as arranged by our hosts
5) comprehensive travel insurance, including medical air evacuation and any necessary ongoing treatment at home
6) a portion of ministry supplies expense
7) a donation for ministry activities determined by the host
8) scholarship funds to aid in-country youth who may join the LoveWorks team, as requested by host
9) travel visa fees, as required by governments
10) arrival and departure fees and taxes, as required by governments
11) minimal costs directly associated with student training and support raising (photocopies, training retreat, books, and binders)
12) program t-shirt
13) CPR/1st aid training for team leaders and 1st aid supplies, emergency contingency funds
14) any limited tourism activities that may be arranged by our hosts
15) all essential incidental expenses (we expect participants to pack as indicated in training)
PUBLISHED PROGRAM FEE
LoveWorks is committed to sound financial planning and management. The program fee will never increase beyond the published amount.
The program fee does not include (additional expenses students are responsible to pay for):
1) passport application or renewal fees, as required
2) travel immunizations (requirements vary by trip and participant’s own medical insurance policies)
3) souvenirs (we cannot guarantee souvenir shopping, it is not our focus, and we do not recommend bringing more that $100)
4) connecting air travel to/from your home or summer residence, as needed
The program fee does not cover (additional expenses PLNU LoveWorks pays):
1) program staff salaries and office overhead (100% of the program fee is for your ministry participation, your trip)
2) program promotion, posters, informational event
3) need and participation-based student scholarships (paid for by donations, LoveWorks endowed scholarships, LoveWorks and PLNU. Past participants are welcomed to consider LoveWorks in their charitable giving.)
4) food for team reunions
5) director site visit travel and continued cultivation of host relationships
6) training development
7) leader recruitment and training
8) much of the ministry donations and supplies (sports equipment, curriculum, VBS and school supplies, 1st aid and medical supplies, host gifts, etc.)
DONATIONS & NON REFUNDABILITY
Donations to PLNU LoveWorks (501c3) are tax-deductible. As such, they are non-refundable and must be used for ministry.
USE OF DONATED FUNDS
All donations will be used to support students in their LoveWorks ministry and the ongoing work of our host ministries worldwide. Neither staff salaries nor office overhead expenses are funded by LoveWorks donations.
PARTICIPANTS WHO RAISE MORE THAN THE PROGRAM FEE
When students raise more donations than the amount needed to support their own trip, all ‘extra’ funds will be used at program discretion to scholarship other students in serious need or to support our host ministries.
FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS IF A STUDENT HAS TO BACK OUT OR IS ASKED TO LEAVE THE PROGRAM
When students leave the program for any reason, donations and financial aid cannot be used to pay for unused airline tickets and other common non-recoverable expenses already made on behalf of the student. The student must pay for such expenses ‘out of pocket’. In most cases, non-refundable airline tickets/airfare credit will be released to the participant after all non-recoverable expenses have been paid for by the student. Use of credit is subject to airline policies. Usually it is valid for use on the originally ticketed airline only, by the originally ticketed passenger only, and within one year of the original travel or purchase date. Airlines charge change fees, often in excess of $250.
In cases of late-arising illness if we are quickly provided with a physician’s letter advising the participant not to travel our travel agent can sometimes secure a refund, but there is no guarantee.
Funds raised bscholarship other students in need or to support our host ministries (such as school supplies and sports equipment for needy children in our host communities.) The student will be asked to inform all donors of their change in plans and of the ways that the donation will be used by LoveWorks.y the student will be used to